Author Topic: Jobless claims lowest in three months in hopeful sign for economic 'soft landing'  (Read 413 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jobless claims lowest in three months in hopeful sign for economic 'soft landing'
by Zachary Halaschak, Economics Reporter
September 15, 2022 08:32 AM

The number of new applications for unemployment benefits dropped by 5,000 to 213,000 last week, the lowest since June, the Labor Department reported Thursday, defying fears of a recession.

Falling jobless claims, a proxy for layoffs, are a sign the economy is still adding jobs despite the Federal Reserve's efforts to tighten monetary policy to slow economywide spending and bring down inflation.

The number of new claims for unemployment isn’t anywhere near where it was during most of the pandemic and has not risen to a rate that would suggest an imminent recession. Still, some economists are predicting that a recession is on the horizon.

Rising jobless claims would be a clue that the tight labor market may be slowing in response to the Federal Reserve aggressively jacking up interest rates. Driving up interest rates slows demand and can result in recessionary conditions.

In order to fight explosive inflation, the Fed has been hiking rates at a historic rate and in June and July conducted two 75-basis-point hikes, which are akin to six typical rate hikes in just two months.

Thursday’s jobless claims report comes just days after the August consumer price index report came through and rattled investors. The CPI report was hotter-than-expected, raising fears that the Fed will be forced to hike rates even more in order to drive down the explosively rising prices.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/jobless-claims-lowest-in-three-months-in-hopeful-sign-for-economic-soft-landing
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Rising jobless claims would be a clue that the tight labor market may be slowing in response to the Federal Reserve aggressively jacking up interest rates. Driving up interest rates slows demand and can result in recessionary conditions.

In order to fight explosive inflation, the Fed has been hiking rates at a historic rate and in June and July conducted two 75-basis-point hikes, which are akin to six typical rate hikes in just two months.

Raising interest rates only works when the money supply is fixed.  It does no good to raise them when the Fed continues to print money (and offer that money to the Treasury at rates lower than they charge everyone else).  Every economic rule that they cite here does not apply when the Fed dumps $4-5 trillion of new money into the money supply in a single year.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Raising interest rates only works when the money supply is fixed.  It does no good to raise them when the Fed continues to print money (and offer that money to the Treasury at rates lower than they charge everyone else).  Every economic rule that they cite here does not apply when the Fed dumps $4-5 trillion of new money into the money supply in a single year.

There are uncurrents of uncharted metrics that are unprecedented.  Coupling record inflation, runaway government expenditures, Record Fed debt vs. GDP, and equity prices that are bloated like a rotting corpse?  We are witnessing the mother of all economic bubbles, and perfect storm.

It's not a question of if, but when.  Not giving advice, but for those who are interested, gold is at $1695/oz. (Lowest since April '20), and Silver is under $20/oz.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

It appears that, even while we’re in the middle of a recession, employers are reluctant to let any workers go due to Labor shortages
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What I am seeing is that you have to work to claim to be jobless. Those benefits are based on the last few quarters of work you did, and if you didn't, well, you don't qualify and can't file a claim.

Is this people not getting laid off or just not being on the UI rolls?

Besides, you don't count if you've been out of the workforce for too long, so the numbers just might not reflect what is actually going on.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis