Author Topic: Patagonia founder just donated the entire company, worth $3 billion, to fight climate change  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard, his spouse and two adult children are giving away their ownership in the apparel maker he started some 50 years ago, dedicating all profits from the company to projects and organizations that will protect wild land and biodiversity and fight the climate crisis.

The company is worth about $3 billion, according to the New York Times.

In a letter about the decision, published on the Patagonia website on Wednesday, Choiunard wrote of “reimagining capitalism,” and said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/14/patagonia-founder-donates-entire-company-to-fight-climate-change.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Wasn’t familiar with this company

Here is their website

https://www.patagonia.com/home/

They have some really lovely things
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

Wasn’t familiar with this company

Here is their website

https://www.patagonia.com/home/

They have some really lovely things

Patagonia and North Face are probably the two premier brands in mountain gear. They are brands I hear nearly every day...

Offline Hoodat

Patagonia and North Face are probably the two premier brands in mountain gear. They are brands I hear nearly every day...

Patagonia polypro long johns are a must.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EdinVA

The company’s non-voting stock, worth close to $3 billion, will be owned by a collective that will use all profits that aren’t reinvested into the business to fight climate change.

Non voting stock.... they donated revenue, not control..

Offline roamer_1

Patagonia polypro long johns are a must.

I have a Patagonia puffy* that's been living in my gobag for probably a decade now... I need a new one. This one looks like it's been through a firefight what with all the ember burns on it. Though my next one will probably be North Face.

* A 'puffy' is generally a polyfill jacket that folds up into it's own pocket - Very light weight and small, for use in emergencies or around camp when drying your big coats out. A very important piece of gear.

Offline Hoodat

Polypro → Wool → Gore-tex

The perfect combo.  Wool is great because it keeps you warm even when wet.  Polypro keeps you dry even when wet.  And Gore-tex allows the wool to dry out.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

How will they know when the “fight” against climate change is won?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How will they know when the “fight” against climate change is won?
When southern California homeless are whining about freezing to death (at the lower altitudes).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
I have a Patagonia puffy* that's been living in my gobag for probably a decade now... I need a new one. This one looks like it's been through a firefight what with all the ember burns on it. Though my next one will probably be North Face.

* A 'puffy' is generally a polyfill jacket that folds up into it's own pocket - Very light weight and small, for use in emergencies or around camp when drying your big coats out. A very important piece of gear.
Check out Mountain Hardwear...I prefer it over NF.  NF went woke some time ago as well against oil even though they use fabrics made from oil... :shrug:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline aligncare

There’s a sucker born every minute.

This idea that human activity is dooming the planet but with more taxes and subsidies we can save it, was created by the masterminds in government. Its roots are in politics. Save the planet, vote democrat!

And by the way have they mentioned to you how they care for Mother Earth more than those mean old republicans?

Offline Kamaji

Non voting stock.... they donated revenue, not control..

Bingo!

And got a nice tax deduction for it, as well.

Offline roamer_1

Check out Mountain Hardwear...I prefer it over NF.  NF went woke some time ago as well against oil even though they use fabrics made from oil... :shrug:

Yeah I know... in both cases. Patagonia too... But you will play hell staying away from NF or Pat in mountain gear.

I am the least abuser. I am more mountaineer or bushcrafter than I am hike-thru. Most of my gear is hard use and regular... A lot of cotton and wool. The only things I go hiteck on are things irreplaceable otherwise - That puffy is a worthy example... The thing that makes that worthy is that it can stay compressed for months and not lose its ability to loft - Necessary because it lives in my go-bag - And because it is so small and light when compressed.

Such a thing comes to me best recommended, and all my friends say the North Face puffy is the thang. The quality of it matters more than the politics.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 04:26:08 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline GrouchoTex

Dumbasses.
They think they can control the Sun and the Moon?
95% effect on weather comes from those two.
5%, at best, from other sources.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
If I were to venture, I'd guess at least 75% of Patagonia's customer base leans right.

Not products I frequent, but if fans would follow the "go woke-go broke" philosophy, these idiot owners might get the message.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Let us be clear here.  All he is really doing is avoiding income and estate taxes.  His family still controls the assets, but holding them as a non-profit shields the money from future taxation.

So what we have is a billionaire "not paying his fair share," but of course no one on the left will complain in this particular case because, you know, climate change. In fact, he will be hailed as a saint.  This is the Bill Gates strategy of asset management.

Offline Kamaji

Let us be clear here.  All he is really doing is avoiding income and estate taxes.  His family still controls the assets, but holding them as a non-profit shields the money from future taxation.

So what we have is a billionaire "not paying his fair share," but of course no one on the left will complain in this particular case because, you know, climate change. In fact, he will be hailed as a saint.  This is the Bill Gates strategy of asset management.

:bingo:

Offline roamer_1

If I were to venture, I'd guess at least 75% of Patagonia's customer base leans right.

Not products I frequent, but if fans would follow the "go woke-go broke" philosophy, these idiot owners might get the message.

Sorry... All mountain gear companies are woke... With the possible exception of REI. All of em.
And they won't change. There is an uneasy truce between the hippie granola heads and the hunters. It has always been there.

Kinda like most country singers being democrats. Kinda 'shutup and sing' ... Same thing.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Shades of Ayn Rand...
"Twentieth Century Motor Company"...

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I'm not a tax lawyer but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once and I see a huge tax dodge. Also there is a talk of a divorce and a gay lover involved in this story.   

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Sorry... All mountain gear companies are woke... With the possible exception of REI. All of em.
And they won't change. There is an uneasy truce between the hippie granola heads and the hunters. It has always been there.

Kinda like most country singers being democrats. Kinda 'shutup and sing' ... Same thing.
https://nypost.com/2018/03/02/rei-drops-key-supplier-of-outdoor-gear-because-it-also-makes-guns/
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Kamaji

I'm not a tax lawyer but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once and I see a huge tax dodge. Also there is a talk of a divorce and a gay lover involved in this story.   

:thumbsup: