Author Topic: Huge Social Security COLA spike could be on the way — because of inflation  (Read 263 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Huge Social Security COLA spike could be on the way — because of inflation
by Olafimihan Oshin - 09/14/22 12:02 PM ET

People on Social Security could see a huge spike in their checks from a cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) that is itself a result of inflation.

In a letter sent on Tuesday, Senior Citizens League policy analyst Mary Johnson said recipients could see an 8.7 percent COLA spike next year.

That’s a huge increase reflective of the high inflation people are experiencing across the country, though at the same time, it is actually a smaller COLA than the Senior Citizens League projected just a month ago. At that time, Johnson was forecasting a 9.6 percent hike.

“After evaluating the August consumer price data, what I’m finding clearly illustrates the weakness in our inflation adjustment system for Social Security. My COLA estimate has dropped to 8.7% almost a full percentage point from the 9.6% that I forecast last month, Johnson wrote in her letter.

“That was a significant drop, but the Consumer Price Index, CPI-W (CPI-W), the index that Social Security benefits are based on, has decreased even —by 1.10 percentage point year over year to 8.7%,” Johnson stated.

The 8.7 percent COLA would boost the average retiree’s benefit from $1,656 received monthly to $1,800 by next year, an increase of $144.10.

This would also the highest COLA increase since 1982, when the Social Security Administration estimated a 7.4 percent increase in the cost-of-living adjustment.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/3642596-huge-social-security-cola-spike-could-be-on-the-way-because-of-inflation/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I envision a COLA being well under 7%.  The retirees take in the rear again.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I envision a COLA being well under 7%.  The retirees take in the rear again.

Like always they'll boost the cost of Medicare and some retirees just may fall into a different tax bracket. So you're right; screwed again!!

Even at that an extra $140 doesn't even come close to covering our electric bill that doubled and rumor has it we're going to see yet another rate hike.

I know many are struggling to keep afloat.  None of this should be happening.   9999hair out0000

You know things are bad @Cyber Liberty when my Omaha and Kansas City steak supply is dwindling.  It's hard keeping up.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 08:45:41 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.