Author Topic: It Is Time EV Drivers Paid Their Share Of Tax  (Read 632 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It Is Time EV Drivers Paid Their Share Of Tax
« on: September 14, 2022, 04:58:34 pm »
It Is Time EV Drivers Paid Their Share Of Tax
SEPTEMBER 14, 2022
tags: Electric Cars
By Paul Homewood

The recently announced energy subsidies have had the inadvertent, knock on effect of increasing subsidies to EV drivers, as there is no obvious way of having a two-tier charging mechanism.

Given that the energy bailout will be cripplingly expensive, the government clearly needs to make as many offsetting savings as possible. It would be logical to begin by suspending all new spending on Net Zero, and start with cancelling all EV subsidies.

Although the plug-in car grant scheme for purchase of new cars has now been closed, EVs are still heavily subsidised in other ways, above all the avoidance of fuel duty and Vehicle Excise Duty (VED).

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/09/14/it-is-time-ev-drivers-paid-their-share-of-tax/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 05:00:16 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: It Is Time EV Drivers Paid Their Share Of Tax
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 05:02:18 pm »
Governments are going to have to create new taxes to make up for the losses in gas taxes.  I'll bet not all of them will be transparent. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 06:44:32 pm »
EV's are just as heavy as conventional ICE vehicles but do not contribute to road and infrastructure M&R like others do at the gas pump, and in CA that is a hefty tax indeed!

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 06:51:31 pm »
EV's are just as heavy as conventional ICE vehicles but do not contribute to road and infrastructure M&R like others do at the gas pump, and in CA that is a hefty tax indeed!
:yowsa: 

I pay a weight "fee" for an F150 and even if I carried 1000lbs. of cargo, my gvw would not even match the curb weight of some of those EV's who are currently exempted.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 08:09:25 pm »
The simplest solution is to just add a surcharge to the purchase of new tires whenever an EV owner buys new tires for the EV (the surcharge would also be imposed when the EV was first sold as new).  The surcharge could be based on an estimated per-mile proxy for the gas tax - if one assumed an average of 30 mpg, then the federal gas tax would be about 0.61 cents per mile - and multiply that by the standard lifetime for the tires being purchased (estimated using the treadwear mileage rating).  For tires that had a 50,000 mile expected lifetime, that would give rise to a total EV surcharge of $305 for four tires, or about $76.25 per tire.  That is not an outrageously high surcharge, and people who can afford an EV should certainly be able to pay the surcharge.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 11:12:23 pm »
The simplest solution is to just add a surcharge to the purchase of new tires whenever an EV owner buys new tires for the EV (the surcharge would also be imposed when the EV was first sold as new).  The surcharge could be based on an estimated per-mile proxy for the gas tax - if one assumed an average of 30 mpg, then the federal gas tax would be about 0.61 cents per mile - and multiply that by the standard lifetime for the tires being purchased (estimated using the treadwear mileage rating).  For tires that had a 50,000 mile expected lifetime, that would give rise to a total EV surcharge of $305 for four tires, or about $76.25 per tire.  That is not an outrageously high surcharge, and people who can afford an EV should certainly be able to pay the surcharge.

I think a Mileage Tax will be what they go with. With today's modern a-go-go technology the government can read it from space and charge accordingly.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 11:33:58 pm »
I would be satisfied if EV drivers simply paid for their own cars.  Every time I see some rich guy driving a Tesla, I think about how my tax dollars helped pay for their car.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 11:51:06 pm »
I think a Mileage Tax will be what they go with. With today's modern a-go-go technology the government can read it from space and charge accordingly.
Problem with that is that if they do, that mileage tax will be imposed on ICE drivers, too (out of "fairness", even though we pay at the pump and in registration fees, which are weight/age based in my state.). But it also means they will have to be able to track individual vehicles in order to assure no one is cheating, and that comes with a loss of privacy and another level of bureaucracy.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 01:09:14 am »
Problem with that is that if they do, that mileage tax will be imposed on ICE drivers, too (out of "fairness", even though we pay at the pump and in registration fees, which are weight/age based in my state.). But it also means they will have to be able to track individual vehicles in order to assure no one is cheating, and that comes with a loss of privacy and another level of bureaucracy.

The privacy ship sailed some time ago.....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 02:30:28 am »
The privacy ship sailed some time ago.....
Why I drive 20th century vehicles without onstar...

But If I want privacy, I have to leave the phone at home or bag it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2022, 03:15:03 am »

@Kamaji

You need to adjust that figure up more than a little. Electric cars are VERY heavy,which will cause their tires to wear out much quicker.

They also tend to have more torque than gasoline or diesel-powered vehicles,and torque is what makes the tires spin.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!