Author Topic: An F-16 pilot died when his ejection seat failed. Was it counterfeit?  (Read 228 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
An F-16 pilot died when his ejection seat failed. Was it counterfeit?
By Rachel S. Cohen
 Sep 13, 06:33 PM

An Air Force investigation of a fatal fighter jet crash in 2020 quietly discovered that key components of the pilot’s ejection seat may have been counterfeit, Air Force Times has learned.

First Lt. David Schmitz, an F-16 Fighting Falcon pilot at South Carolina’s Shaw Air Force Base, died June 30, 2020, when his ejection seat malfunctioned as he tried to escape from a failed nighttime landing. He was 32.

The Air Force’s official inquiry in the months following the accident found that electronics inside the seat were scratched, unevenly sanded and showed otherwise shoddy craftsmanship.

Read the complaint in Schmitz v. Lockheed Martin et al
That raised red flags at the Air Force Research Laboratory, which called for a closer look to confirm whether the pieces were fraudulent, according to previously unreported slides provided to Air Force Times. It’s unclear whether that question was ever answered.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2022/09/13/an-f-16-pilot-died-when-his-ejection-seat-failed-was-it-counterfeit/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline EdinVA

Re: An F-16 pilot died when his ejection seat failed. Was it counterfeit?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 11:19:40 am »
So the buck stops at the grave....  8888crybaby

The DOD ivory tower is so determined to protect itself that it is willing to sacrifice the troops, even officers, and deny the military family support due them.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: An F-16 pilot died when his ejection seat failed. Was it counterfeit?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 11:26:44 am »
So the buck stops at the grave....  8888crybaby

The DOD ivory tower is so determined to protect itself that it is willing to sacrifice the troops, even officers, and deny the military family support due them.

That makes me think of the USS Indianapolis fiasco. 9999hair out0000
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson