Author Topic: How the U.S. Military is Looking to France for Inspiration  (Read 389 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How the U.S. Military is Looking to France for Inspiration
« on: September 13, 2022, 11:05:23 am »
 How the U.S. Military is Looking to France for Inspiration
By Donald Ramsay
September 13, 2022

Both protagonists in the global war on terror, the US and French armies have, in modern times, maintained a somewhat mutual respect. The French have always been overwhelmed and impressed by the sheer mass and quality of the US arsenal, and the completeness and redundancy of their tactical and strategic capabilities, whereas the US has been awed by the French army’s operational effectiveness and ingenuity with limited resources. This has led to the United States looking to France for inspiration, not only when it comes to strategy, but also military hardware. 

The United States and France have a long tradition of military collaboration, dating back to the American Wars of Independence in the 18th Century and continuing into the 20th Century during the First and Second World Wars, the liberation of France and Korea. Since 1999, the two armies have had multiple opportunities to collaborate across different theaters of operation, whether that be in Iraq, Africa, or Afghanistan. This operational cooperation has led to a growing mutual respect between the two armies, which has led to strategic, material, and tactical interdependence.   

Mutual respect and increased collaboration 

The reputation of the US military precedes it. The US government has, by an exceedingly long way, the largest defense budget in the world. In 2020, the country spent $778 billion on its military, three times as much as its closest competitor, China. But, in recent times, the French army has proven to be one of the most efficient, capable Western military forces in the world. Its full range of capabilities have allowed it to engage in military operations around the global with striking success, most notably in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Sahel.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2022/09/13/how_the_us_military_is_looking_to_france_for_inspiration_853252.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: How the U.S. Military is Looking to France for Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 11:07:52 am »
 :wtf: Just like the "inspiration" we got from them when they pulled out of Viet Nam? :banghead: 
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 11:12:12 am »
:wtf: Just like the "inspiration" we got from them when they pulled out of Viet Nam? :banghead:

We were just to stupid not to follow their lead...

Offline rustynail

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 12:34:30 pm »
The proper rifle drop and surrender squat?

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 01:13:47 pm »
The proper rifle drop and surrender squat?
An unwarranted mischaracterization...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 03:15:03 pm »
France have a long tradition of military collaboration

This much is true, even if that collaboration is usually with the enemy.