Author Topic: CIA Admits to Losing Dozens of Intelligence Assets Around the World  (Read 413 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
CIA Admits to Losing Dozens of Intelligence Assets Around the World
BY RICK MORAN AUG 28, 2022 9:44 AM ET

Top American counterintelligence officials sent a memo that warned every CIA station around the world about a troubling number of intelligence assets who had been killed, disappeared, or captured in recent years. The memo actually gave a specific number of agents — a highly unusual inclusion but one that demonstrates the seriousness of the situation.

The CIA is an agency in transition with the focus of intelligence moving from rooting out terrorism in Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan to concentrating on our enemies in Russia and China. But the loss of agents is particularly troubling because there doesn’t seem to be a major intelligence leak. The problem is with the agents themselves.

The New York Times:

Acknowledging that recruiting spies is a high-risk business, the cable raised issues that have plagued the agency in recent years, including poor tradecraft; being too trusting of sources; underestimating foreign intelligence agencies, and moving too quickly to recruit informants while not paying enough attention to potential counterintelligence risks — a problem the cable called placing “mission over security.”

The large number of compromised informants in recent years also demonstrated the growing prowess of other countries in employing innovations like biometric scans, facial recognition, artificial intelligence and hacking tools to track the movements of C.I.A. officers in order to discover their sources.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2022/08/28/cia-admits-to-losing-dozens-of-intelligence-assets-around-the-world-n1624793
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: CIA Admits to Losing Dozens of Intelligence Assets Around the World
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 11:16:14 am »
Madeline Albright lose another laptop?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 11:20:13 am »
The CIA is an agency in transition with the focus of intelligence moving from rooting out terrorism in Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan to concentrating on our enemies in Russia and China.   

And on Americans?  Biden has authorized it. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 11:20:45 am »
Losing assets in China and Russia is to be expected.

Great recruiting slogan...

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 04:31:47 pm »
What's this, they haven't blamed it on Trump and his records handling? I'm sure that no vital information on personnel was 'lost' during the fiascos of the Buttboy/Brandon administrations or that smoooth withdrawal from Afghanistan. And then there are the democrats with their chicom aides and lovers....

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 12:41:30 pm »
Or is this closing out some ghost payrolls? This is the CIA we're talking about. Gotta get those black ops funds from somewhere...

That said, I wonder how many of these purported assets were in Afghanistan and environs...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 12:42:36 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 01:01:48 pm »
Losing Dozens of Intelligence Assets Around the World

Maybe they just misplaced them. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 01:03:27 pm »

Maybe they just misplaced them.
They are in storage, next to Obama's original long form birth certificate...

C S Lewis