Author Topic: Why Aircraft Carriers Could Be The Next Battleship (And Be Destroyed In A War)  (Read 225 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why Aircraft Carriers Could Be The Next Battleship (And Be Destroyed In A War)

ByPeter SuciuPublished3 mins ago

The aircraft carrier, to this day, is still the symbol of power for the U.S. Navy and even China‘s growing naval forces. And yet, countless experts say that these ships are nothing more than floating targets. Who is right? We asked one top expert to explain:

The last “battleship battle” has gone down in history as a one-sided slaughter when the United States Navy destroyed the Imperial Japanese Navy’s battleship Kirishima during the Battle of the Surigao Strait on October 25, 1944. As part of the larger Battle of Leyte Gulf, that particular engagement marked the last battleship-to-battleship in history and was one of only such fights between the capital warships in the entire Pacific campaign of the Second World War.

While the battleship’s role in navies around the world for another fifty years, and it wasn’t until Operation Desert Storm in 1991 that marked the last time that U.S. Navy battleships fired their guns in anger when the USS Missouri and USS Wisconsin conducted standard naval artillery support.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/09/why-aircraft-carriers-could-be-the-next-battleship-and-be-destroyed-in-a-war/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just nuke 'em from orbit...

Seriously, once the gloves come off and someone starts using nuclear munitions, all bets are off.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ironhorsedriver

The Kirishma was sunk by USS Washington In the Solomon Islands, not at Suriago Straights. Washington and South Dakota met her in a night action. SoDak's lost power to her fire control and played very little role other than being a target.
  Surigao was fought mainly by the older Battleships, raised from the mud of Pearl Harbor. Destroyers, cruisers ant PT boats where also involved