Author Topic: Tesla Eyes Building Texas Lithium Refinery, As China Controls Global Capacity  (Read 454 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
 Investor's Business Daily by Kit Norton 9/9/2022

Tesla (TSLA) is eyeing the prospect of building a lithium processing facility in Texas, as the company looks to take more control over key manufacturing components amid rising prices. Tesla stock was up on the news.

In documents submitted to the Texas Comptroller's Office, Elon Musk's electric vehicle giant is evaluating the facility — which would refine lithium hydroxide — on the Gulf Coast of Texas. Reuters first reported on the filing of the documents.

Tesla said the facility would develop "battery-grade lithium hydroxide" and process "raw ore material into a usable state for battery production," the company's filing said. The company added in its letter to the Texas Comptroller's Office that the plant would be the first of its kind in North America.

If the project is approved, Tesla says it could start construction by the fourth quarter, with commercial production beginning by the end of 2024.

More: https://www.investors.com/news/tesla-stock-company-considers-texas-lithium-refinery-as-china-controls-global-capacity/

Offline Kamaji

Where would the raw material - the lithium hydroxide - come from?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Lithium hydroxide would be the refined product.
Likely there could be further processing of the ore for rare earths as well.
Which raise another possibility, considering one of the better rare earth deposits in the US is in Texas https://comptroller.texas.gov/about/media-center/news/20211027-texas-comptroller-visits-usa-rare-earths-round-top-project-for-good-for-texas-tour-supply-chains-edition-1634751039266
Currently, the only operating lithium mine in the US is Albemarle’s Silver Peak Mine in Nevada. Most other prospects for opening mines are also in that state.

My concern is that the facility be built so it is safe from Hurricanes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis