Author Topic: Everything to know about the Army’s new 38-ton light tank  (Read 160 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Everything to know about the Army’s new 38-ton light tank
« on: September 10, 2022, 10:26:14 am »
Everything to know about the Army’s new 38-ton light tank
Kelsey D. Atherton - Yesterday 10:01 AM

For now, it's known as the Mobile Protected Firepower vehicle. It weighs about eight times as much as a Hummer EV.

In October, the Army is expected to announce a proper name for its newest vehicle. The machine is essentially a light tank, an armored turreted and tracked vehicle with a big gun. In June, the US Army announced it was spending up to $1.14 billion on this brand-new light tank, which is formally called the Mobile Protected Firepower vehicle. The contract, awarded to General Dynamics Land Systems, will deliver between 26 and 96 vehicles, with the first set to arrive in 2024.

The Mobile Protected Firepower vehicle will be the “Army’s first new design vehicle fielded in over four decades,” the Army said in June. While the Army has developed, deployed, and iterated on many vehicle designs, these have largely been adaptations of existing models. The heavy M1 Abrams main battle tank, also by General Dynamics, has undergone five variations, with a Next Generation version underway.

By contrast, the last light tank fielded by the Army was the M551 Sheridan, which saw action in Vietnam, Panama, and was also deployed to Saudi Arabia for Operation Desert Shield, and then saw combat in Iraq during Operation Desert Storm. When the Sheridan was fully retired in 1996, the Army did not have a direct replacement, and before the MPF, it lacked a tracked vehicle to take on that same role. The M112 Stryker Mobile Gun System, an armored and eight-wheeled vehicle with a powerful 105mm gun mounted in its turret, fulfills roughly the same role as the Sheridan, but the Strykers are set to be retired by the Army in 2022.

Why a light tank?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/everything-to-know-about-the-army-s-new-38-ton-light-tank/ar-AA11E8hr?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=f468d0c260a942918d5f21457dc85fc4
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson