Author Topic: Dept of the Interior scrubs the word ‘squaw’ from 600 sites, and it may be just the beginning  (Read 469 times)

Online mountaineer

Dept of the Interior scrubs the word ‘squaw’ from 600 sites, and it may be just the beginning
September 9, 2022 | Frank Webster
The U.S. Department of the Interior said Thursday it has now removed the word “squaw” from the names of more than 600 federally designated lands.

The process began in November of 2021 after the agency declared it to be offensive to some Native Americans. They say that “squaw” has “historically been used as an offensive ethnic, racial and sexist slur, particularly for Indigenous women.”

“I feel a deep obligation to use my platform to ensure that our public lands and waters are accessible and welcoming,” said Interior Secretary Deb Haaland, who is a member of New Mexico’s Laguna Pueblo tribe and the first Native American to head up a cabinet agency in the federal government. She believes the initiative is “charting a path for an inclusive America.”  ...

The reasoning behind the changes appears to stem from the white man’s usage of it in depicting Native American women as objects of desire following the American Frontier Wars and western settlement. Like most things the far-left eventually get their grubby little hands on, the word hasn’t been a problem for hundreds of years.

For official communications, the federal government has gone so far as to write the word sq__ instead of spelling it out or surrounding it with quotes. The word appears in Algonquian languages of northeastern North America and literally means, “woman,” but much like the Land O’ Lakes girl and Aunt Jemima, this too must be erased from American history.  ...
Full story

I just assumed it was a native term for woman - and I was right! Had no idea it had anything to do with lusty cowboys.  Considering the bawdy lyrics for the English WWI song, "Mademoiselle from Armentières," I think it's offensive to keep using the word mademoiselle because it depicts French woman as objects of desire. It must be banned immediately.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online rustynail

Offline aligncare

Dept of the Interior scrubs the word ‘squaw’ from 600 sites, and it may be just the beginning
September 9, 2022 | Frank Webster
Full story

I just assumed it was a native term for woman - and I was right! Had no idea it had anything to do with lusty cowboys.  Considering the bawdy lyrics for the English WWI song, "Mademoiselle from Armentières," I think it's offensive to keep using the word mademoiselle because it depicts French woman as objects of desire. It must be banned immediately.

I’m running out of ways to express incredulity. Who spends their time finding reasons to rewrite history? And who obsesses over past social mores and norms.  It’s like the woke are gripped by a mass hysteria brought on I think by mass projection. That’s it, they got dirty little minds, the creeps.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I’m running out of ways to express incredulity. Who spends their time finding reasons to rewrite history? And who obsesses over past social mores and norms.  It’s like the woke are gripped by a mass hysteria brought on I think by mass projection. That’s it, they got dirty little minds, the creeps.
People who get most of their money from government handouts, that's who.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
IF this is ALL these people have to do, they should get a real job (I.E. not be on the public payroll).

Talk about a useless make work project.

Not to mention the expense of changing maps and signs.

I'll keep these bungholes in mind next time I pass through Squaw Gap.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 05:27:42 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis