Author Topic: Nikki Fried's Guns And Weed Filing Slams DOJ For Offensive Characterization Of Cannabis Users  (Read 1073 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Benzinga by Jelena Martinovic 9/8/2022

Florida: Nikki Fried's Guns And Weed Filing Slams DOJ For Offensive Characterization Of Cannabis Users

In August, the Department of Justice urged a federal court to dismiss the lawsuit broughy by Florida's Agriculture Minister Nikki Fried, which seeks to allow legal medical marijuana users to buy and own guns. The government argued that it was “dangerous to trust regular marijuana users to exercise sound judgment.”

The DOJ cited offensive "parallels to past gun prohibitions for groups such as Native Americans, Catholics, panhandlers, as well as those who refuse to take an oath of allegiance to the government and people who shoot firearms while drunk."   

In a response brief filed on Wednesday, attorneys representing the plaintiffs said that DOJ’s “assertions and analogies to the contrary are insulting, illogical, and ahistorical,” as first reported by Marijuana Moment.

The document further reads that ”those are not even the most dubious comparisons or assertions the Defendants advance, as they also appear to equate depriving state-compliant medical marijuana patients of their Second Amendment rights to the historical disarming of Catholics and Native Americans.”

More: https://www.benzinga.com/markets/cannabis/22/09/28794911/florida-filing-slams-doj-for-insulting-illogical-comparisons-in-request-to-dismiss-medical-canna

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Anyone who read the 4473 saw this coming... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
We had a similar discussion on another thread, and while I don't think widespead Cannabis proliferation is a good idea, the fact pretty much is, is that the population of cannabis users are proably the most docile and least violent demographic on earth.

Stop with the Reefer Madness baloney, and go with other sound reasons why (especially the young) individuals should avoid it's use That is, unless medicinal use is proper.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
We had a similar discussion on another thread, and while I don't think widespead Cannabis proliferation is a good idea, the fact pretty much is, is that the population of cannabis users are proably the most docile and least violent demographic on earth.

Stop with the Reefer Madness baloney, and go with other sound reasons why (especially the young) individuals should avoid it's use That is, unless medicinal use is proper.
It's no secret that many users fail to pay attention to details when they're high. That bodes ill for the safe handling of firearms, just as serious drinking does.
Paranoia doesn't help, but I guess a lot of that has been bred out of the weed today.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

For the simple reason that they don't get off the couch. I have seen to many students and former students lose all drive and ambition.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
For the simple reason that they don't get off the couch. I have seen to many students and former students lose all drive and ambition.

100% agree.  I knew a friend back in the '70's, another pre-med major who early on was right on track with his career, 3.95 through end of Sophormore year.  Discovered the lure of MJ, and academic, and subsequent medical career sank like a rock.  All desire to excel vanished, and was more driven to scoring that next lid, than "A" on a test.

This stuff is not for the young, and since I understand this new stuff is many times more potent, not a good idea for anyone not needing or using it for medicinal reasons.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
People can always find a reason to give up or just be lazy. Marijuana will always be available on the street, whether its legalized or not. The issue I see is whether it should be treated as a Level 1 Drug. I have never known that any of my friends died from the use of marijuana. I have lost several of my friends from the use of alcohol. Does it really make sense to treat Marijuana, like Heroin, other than like Alcohol and Tobacco?

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
People can always find a reason to give up or just be lazy.

I beg to differ.  The person I mentioned in the previous post fell in what was inexplcitly timed with the beginning of his MJ use.  Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with your comment about weed being a Level 1 drug.  And there is no doubt there is a lot of great potential medicinal value to the infirmed, terminal and elderly.

But for the young, I have seen a lot more than the one I mentioned that MJ use seem to demotivate, become forgetfull, and become lethargic.  We already have enough issues motivating our young to work......  We don't need another tool to enhance that problem.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Gateway drug... I know I know, people don't like the term, but it is what it is. Just about ever bad addict started with MJ and figured they could enjoy something stronger. We see streets full of them now living on sidewalks. While some are able to control themselves, others have a more weak constitution when it comes to just partaking recreationally (<-- is that even a word). Some harp on how "safe" it is, but I have numerously told of my experiences with it (just one joint, and it wasn't laced with anything).

I am firm believe of holding the line, it is a fight worth fighting and we are losing due to states giving up the fight (and light sentences).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....