Author Topic: Oregon Gov. Signs Law Allowing Students to Graduate Without Proving They Can Write or do Math  (Read 335 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Legal Insurrection  by Mike LaChance Saturday, September 10, 2022

“SB 744 gives us an opportunity to review our graduation requirements and make sure our assessments can truly assess all students’ learning”

What is the point of even going to school if you don’t at least learn to read and write?

The Washington Examiner reports:

Oregon governor signs bill ending reading and math proficiency requirements for graduation

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown privately signed a bill last month ending the requirement for high school students to prove proficiency in reading, writing, and arithmetic before graduation.

Brown, a Democrat, did not hold a public signing or issue a press release regarding the passing of Senate Bill 744 on July 14, and the measure, which was approved by lawmakers in June, was not added into the state’s legislative database until more than two weeks later on July 29, an unusually quiet approach to enacting legislation, according to the Oregonian.

Secretary of the Senate Lori Brocker’s office is responsible for updating the legislative database, and a staffer tasked with dealing with the governor’s office was experiencing medical issues during the 15-day time frame it took the database to be updated with the recently signed law, Brocker said.

“SB 744 gives us an opportunity to review our graduation requirements and make sure our assessments can truly assess all students’ learning,” Charles Boyle, a spokesman for the governor, said in an email to the Washington Examiner. “In the meantime, it gives Oregon students and the education community a chance to regroup after a year and a half of disruption caused by the pandemic.”

More: https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/09/oregon-gov-signs-law-allowing-students-to-graduate-without-proving-they-can-write-or-do-math/

Online libertybele

This is so disheartening. Is there anything 'positive' that the leftists are going to let remain in our schools??  They are getting rid of the basics; writing, math, and history.

If I were a parent today, there is no way I would send me kids to a public school.  I'd be home-schooling them.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Reading rithmatic, and riting are highly over rated
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

Reading rithmatic, and riting are highly over rated
Especially since the kiddies have no intention of ever working for a living. Who needs to know how to read, write or do math when you're just sitting around collecting your welfare, smoking weed and procreating?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org