Author Topic: Ukraine aid faces tougher crowd if Republicans take over  (Read 314 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Ukraine aid faces tougher crowd if Republicans take over
« on: September 24, 2022, 10:19:01 pm »
Ukraine aid faces tougher crowd if Republicans take over
Politico, Sep 22, 2022

The course of U.S. aid to Ukraine could hinge on the outcome of the November midterm elections.

Congress is poised to approve billions more in military aid next week as part of a deal to keep the government open past the Nov. 8 elections, but future deals may be caught up in Republican infighting over federal spending that’s emerged in recent months, primarily in the House, if they win in November.

"A lot of Republicans said, ‘I voted for that one, I’m not going to vote for anymore,’ said one House GOP member who opposed the $40 billion aid bill. “And then the backlash at home was fierce.”

“America can’t afford to provide a blank checkbook to Ukraine when we have inflation, gas prices, supply chain crisis, all of the above, going on at home,” said the lawmaker, who was granted anonymity to speak frankly about the dynamics of the Republican Conference. “That’s what I’m hearing from my voters.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/22/ukraine-aid-faces-tougher-crowd-if-republicans-take-over-00058362

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Ukraine aid faces tougher crowd if Republicans take over
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 10:19:45 pm »
Another reason to take the House   :crossed: