Author Topic: Unpacking Judge Cannon’s Order for a Special Master in Trump Search By Andrew C. McCarthy  (Read 272 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
By Andrew C. McCarthy

September 6, 2022 9:13 AM

I had a column on Monday analyzing Judge Aileen Cannon’s order, earlier in the day, granting former president Trump’s petition for a special master to review materials the government seized from Mar-a-Lago last month pursuant to a search warrant. That analysis focuses on what I believe is the main issue raised by Judge Cannon’s decision: the possibility that Trump, as a former president, retains not only some measure of executive privilege but also the authority to invoke that privilege against the executive branch of the incumbent administration.

In this post, I want to focus on a couple of other aspects of the Florida federal district judge’s ruling that, like the executive-privilege issues, will be front and center if (and almost certainly when) the Justice Department appeals.

Proceeding by Separate Civil Action

I doubt there will be much squawking over Trump’s gambit in filing a separate civil lawsuit rather than simply moving for a special-master appointment before the magistrate judge (Bruce Reinhart) who issued the warrant. By this maneuver, Trump’s got the question in front of a Trump-appointed district judge rather than Reinhart, whom he colorably claims is biased against him. (I am not saying there was any lack of basis for Reinhart to issue the warrant; I am merely noting that Reinhart had previously recused himself from a Trump lawsuit against Hillary Clinton.) Judge Cannon dismisses any concerns about Trump’s suit in a footnote (p.7, n.7), citing authority that permits a party to proceed by a civil action prior to any indictment.

more
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/unpacking-judge-cannons-order-for-a-special-master-in-trump-search/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34