Author Topic: When is a Corvette a Sting Ray and not a Stingray?  (Read 536 times)

Offline corbe

When is a Corvette a Sting Ray and not a Stingray?
« on: September 06, 2022, 10:29:43 pm »

Brandan Gillogly - 7h ago

Quick—is the car above a Sting Ray or a Stingray? If you’re a Corvette enthusiast, you probably know the difference, right? Plenty of Vette fans, even those that aren’t owners, will be quick to correct you if you happen to use the incorrect phrase while debating the finer points of America’s Sports Car. May Zora Arkus-Duntov help you if you make that mistake on the wrong forum.

XP-87 on display at the Petersen Automotive Museum Brandan Gillogly
© Provided by Hagerty Media

The “Sting Ray” moniker, two words, was first used on a production Corvette in 1963 for the second-generation cars, which featured a major front-end restyling compared to the first, along with a major chassis redesign and an independent rear suspension. 1963 also marked the first time a hardtop coupe was available in the Corvette lineup. The aquatic name had been previously applied to the XP-87 development car, which was dubbed the Stingray Racer. Its design would influence the XP-755 Mako Shark concept and, eventually, the production 1963 Sting Ray.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/when-is-a-corvette-a-sting-ray-and-not-a-stingray/ar-AA11w8qq?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6accdd0547814630908dc79e33ac9e1b
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: When is a Corvette a Sting Ray and not a Stingray?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 10:43:46 pm »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 05:51:48 pm »
I have a 75 ragtop.  Not much under the hood, but it is still fun to drive.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 05:58:06 pm »
I have a 75 ragtop.  Not much under the hood, but it is still fun to drive.

The C-2 was getting a little long in the tooth by the late 70's.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.