Author Topic: THE MOST DECORATED OFFICER IN THE HISTORY OF THE 82ND AIRBORNE LAID TO REST IN ARLINGTON  (Read 183 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
THE MOST DECORATED OFFICER IN THE HISTORY OF THE 82ND AIRBORNE LAID TO REST IN ARLINGTON
September 2, 2022 • Mac Caltrider

Lt. Col. James “Maggie” Megellas — the most decorated officer of the 82nd Airborne — is finally being laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery. Composite by Coffee or Die Magazine.

In a ceremony Friday, Sept. 2, Lt. Col. James “Maggie” Megellas — the most decorated officer in the history of the 82nd Airborne Division — will be laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery.

His interment comes two years after his death and will include full military honors. High-profile guests will attend the ceremony, including the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley.

Megellas served for 20 years in the US Army and is most remembered for bravely leading a platoon of paratroopers through combat in Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany during World War II. Among the medals he was awarded over the course of his career were two Silver Stars, two Bronze Stars with Valor, two Purple Hearts, and the Distinguished Service Cross. He also holds the distinction of being the first American to receive an award from the Netherlands after being awarded the Military Order of William Orange Lanyard: the oldest and highest honor given by the Kingdom of the Netherlands for bravery, leadership, and loyalty.

https://www.coffeeordie.com/decorated-officer-82nd-airborne
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson