Author Topic: Watch John Chapman’s incredible heroics in the first Medal of Honor action ever recorded on video  (Read 161 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Watch John Chapman’s incredible heroics in the first Medal of Honor action ever recorded on video

Chapman, an Air Force combat controller, was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor in August 2018 for his bravery during the 2002 Battle of Takur Ghar in Afghanistan, in which he charged enemy bunkers and exposed himself to blistering fire while trying to rescue a fallen comrade.

BY PAUL SZOLDRA | UPDATED MAR 4, 2021 4:03 PM

Most actions that lead to the awarding of the Medal of Honor are based on eyewitness accounts or physical evidence.

The actions of Air Force Technical Sgt. John Chapman, however, were caught on video.

Chapman, an Air Force combat controller, was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor in August 2018 for his bravery during the 2002 Battle of Takur Ghar in Afghanistan, in which he charged enemy bunkers and exposed himself to blistering fire while trying to rescue a fallen comrade.

And hovering over the 10,469-foot peak at the time was a CIA predator drone and other surveillance assets, which captured it all.

Dan Schilling, a former combat controller and author of a new book about Chapman, narrates a new video of that footage that explains Chapman’s actions and what he did to protect his teammates.

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-life/john-chapman-video-medal-honor/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline andy58-in-nh

Inspirational story, in spite of the sad ending.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn