Author Topic: The Army is moving ahead with its IVAS combat goggles, although some issues persist  (Read 238 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 The Army is moving ahead with its IVAS combat goggles, although some issues persist
Nicholas Slayton - Yesterday 1:41 PM

U.S. Army soldiers can finally use its new high tech augmented reality goggles, even though tests show some issues still need to be addressed. Bloomberg reported this week that the Army has officially accepted the first 5,000 Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS) combat goggles it developed with Microsoft. The augmented reality system is meant to be an easy-to-use piece of equipment for soldiers to use around the world, essentially serving as a head’s up display straight out of a video game like Halo.

Soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division used the latest prototype of the Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS) during a trench clearing exercise in October at Fort Pickett, Va. (Bridgett Siter/U.S. Army)
Soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division used the latest prototype of the Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS) during a trench clearing exercise in October at Fort Pickett, Va. (Bridgett Siter/U.S. Army)

According to Bloomberg, the order to start accepting the goggles was given in August, but only came to light this month. These have been in testing for the last three years, using the Microsoft HoloLens 2 technology. The program is through Army Futures Command, which is developing and testing new technologies for the Army to use, ranging from these goggles to an ultra-light drone that recently flew for two months before dying in the desert. The IVAS system was a more prominent project; in initial testing it was even used to help measure soldiers’ temperature during the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/the-army-is-moving-ahead-with-its-ivas-combat-goggles-although-some-issues-persist/ar-AAWAcSF?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e1736cfbb4f34cf9fad02d43cc04c53a
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Army is moving ahead with its IVAS combat goggles, although some issues persist

A very nice way of saying they are POS. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson