Author Topic: No Narrative, No Support, No Problem: Crafting Grand Strategy in Postmodern America  (Read 141 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Thu, 08/25/2022 - 5:11pm
No Narrative, No Support, No Problem: Crafting Grand Strategy in Postmodern America

By Garrett Martin

Introduction

The growing distrust amongst Americans has strategic implications. It seems that Americans no longer agree on what unifies them, what their national objectives are, and what narrative frames their collective reality. Without public buy-in of a unifying national narrative, the government will face increasing domestic resistance to its political and military objectives. A population unable or unwilling to support national narratives not only loses its sense of trajectory, but also the strength of its collective will. A nation at war with itself, even in a rhetorical sense, is insufficiently equipped with the public support necessary to effectively wage war against its adversaries. The growing domestic cynicism towards national narratives indicates a population transitioning into postmodernism – a social shift that will require a uniquely adaptive grand strategy to align national security efforts. A “postmodern grand strategy” may provide additional advantages my reducing strategic overdetermination.

Postmodern America

If modernity was marked by intentional society building, then the U.S. was a decidedly modern nation from its inception. Whether we give credit to its providential roots[1] or its galvanizing war narratives,[2] Americans have generally enjoyed a clear sense of purpose. The last two decades, however, lie in stark contrast to the previous twenty-five as Americans have grown jaded to their narratives. When a populace loses that unifying narrative, when they become “incredulous of meta narratives,” they transition out of modernity and into postmodernity.

The impetus behind American social disunity is highly debatable but its consequences are becoming increasingly conspicuous. American public skepticism extends not only to news media – it is estimated that less than a third of cable news viewers believe stories are covered accurately[3] – but to virtually all U.S. institutions,[4] particularly the presidency.[5] The COVID-19 pandemic offered a recent example of the growing skepticism Americans express towards narratives posed by institutions.[6]

https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/no-narrative-no-support-no-problem-crafting-grand-strategy-postmodern-america
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson