Author Topic: Was this THE best live performance in history,or not?  (Read 4160 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Was this THE best live performance in history,or not?
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2022, 11:28:49 pm »
I wish I could find the live performance from Garth Brooks Too tour of 'Ain't going down (till the sun comes up)'

Starts out with a wicked Harmonica/Guitar dual that is flat awesome... And ends up with Garth flying around the stadium on a zip line. VERY high energy.

Here it is in a reaction vid (sorry about the reactors) Starts about 2 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpsClSROm34

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2022, 08:49:15 pm »
I'd venture to guess that "the best live performance in history" was likely never recorded for posterity.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2022, 09:47:51 pm »
Pink Floyd  -  Pompeii, '72

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2022, 11:49:17 pm »
I wish I could find the live performance from Garth Brooks Too tour of 'Ain't going down (till the sun comes up)'

Starts out with a wicked Harmonica/Guitar dual that is flat awesome... And ends up with Garth flying around the stadium on a zip line. VERY high energy.

Here it is in a reaction vid (sorry about the reactors) Starts about 2 minutes in.

@roamer_1

I have seen that on You Boob,and you are right,it really  IS pretty damn good.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2022, 12:50:57 am »
This is my favorite concert video on YouTube

Chicago at Tanglewood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oAoSZ2y1cw

Terry Kath was an absolute beast

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2022, 12:51:31 am »
@roamer_1

I have seen that on You Boob,and you are right,it really  IS pretty damn good.

@sneakypete

That ol boy can make that harmonica wail...

A wailin harmonica, a screamin fiddle, or a junkyard sax... Any one will get me going.  :beer:

This here is a little too religious for you probably... But stick with it... Watch that black dude and what he does to a steel guitar... Never seen the like... He flat makes it talk.  :beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZBOvHf-NHE

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2022, 01:02:20 am »
@sneakypete

That ol boy can make that harmonica wail...

A wailin harmonica, a screamin fiddle, or a junkyard sax... Any one will get me going.  :beer:

This here is a little too religious for you probably... But stick with it... Watch that black dude and what he does to a steel guitar... Never seen the like... He flat makes it talk.  :beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZBOvHf-NHE

@roamer_1

You kidding? I know those were mostly actors with a gosphel choir mixed in,but in the  Holy Roller Church I grew up in,those people would be considered to be restrained,and somebody would be asking them what's the matter.

If you think I am just a-woofin,find yourself a Holy Roller Church and attend services one Sunday. Just make sure you don't get in anyone's way when "The Holy Ghost" is visiting their bodies and minds,or  you could get hurt. Accidentially,of course. No one there is likely to hurt you on purpose.

BTW,ALL American music,including and maybe even especially "soul music" originated in the rural Protestant Churches in the American South.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2022, 01:21:49 am »
@roamer_1

You kidding? I know those were mostly actors with a gosphel choir mixed in,but in the  Holy Roller Church I grew up in,those people would be considered to be restrained,and somebody would be asking them what's the matter.

@sneakypete
Been there done that... In fact I do it all the time. Ain't got my own church... I drift around... But I get along pretty good with the Pentecostals and the Baptists.

BTW,ALL American music,including and maybe even especially "soul music" originated in the rural Protestant Churches in the American South.

And that was the point... that steel guitar...  :beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2022, 03:13:14 am »
@sneakypete
Been there done that... In fact I do it all the time. Ain't got my own church... I drift around... But I get along pretty good with the Pentecostals and the Baptists.

And that was the point... that steel guitar...  :beer:

@roamer_1

And ESPECIALLY the organ! You can NEVER overlook that Sunday Church Organ.

AND.......truly,why WOULD you want to overlook it. Two or three notes in,and I can feel my blood pressure already rising. Admit it,it's the same for you.

Fundie churches MIGHT not have the most up to date heating and cooling systems,or even up to date wiring in some cases,but they ALL have "monster organs" with people playing them that seem to think they are directly hooked up and conversing with Jesus.

Offline berdie

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2022, 09:51:00 pm »
The two shows above are indeed excellent and certainly deserving and  worthy of being pointed out.  I have been to many concerts over the years and have seen some really great performances.  It boils down I believe to personal preference.

Elton John, The Moody Blues, Yes, Willie Nelson, Gordon Lightfoot, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Pink Floyd,  REO Speedwagon, Styx, Foreigner, Journey, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, and many others were all great performances.

I however lean towards Elton John and The Moody Blues because of their use of full orchestras incorporated into their music and their pure unbelievable talents. I have seen both of them 3 times and all 3 times they were absolutely fantastic...

Music of yesteryears certainly outdo music of today; there are some talented musicians but none can hold a candle to some of the greats.  I'm sure those much younger than I would beg to disagree.

I can agree with most of your post @libertybele . I loved the two Moody Blues concerts I went to. I've only seen Elton once with Billy Joel. Joel outdid him...and oddly enough, that is the only concert I've ever been to that totally broke my ears. Considering it was a far more mellow than some I've been to, it seemed odd. Bad sound man I guess.

I've seen most of the bands you listed and more.

I am going to post the best, funnest concert I've ever been to and fully expect  :silly: *****rollingeyes***** and 999yawn.

Neil Diamond...great showmanship (sequins and all) and tons of audience participation.

Best c/w concert...Clint Black. The guy really likes performing and his audience.

The worst...Van Morrison. Maybe having a bad night, I don't know.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2022, 10:23:51 pm »

I can agree with most of your post @libertybele . I loved the two Moody Blues concerts I went to. I've only seen Elton once with Billy Joel. Joel outdid him...and oddly enough, that is the only concert I've ever been to that totally broke my ears. Considering it was a far more mellow than some I've been to, it seemed odd. Bad sound man I guess.

I am going to post the best, funnest concert I've ever been to and fully expect  :silly: *****rollingeyes***** and 999yawn.

Neil Diamond...great showmanship (sequins and all) and tons of audience participation.

Best c/w concert...Clint Black. The guy really likes performing and his audience.

I saw Neil Diamond as well and it was a really fun concert @berdie

The worst concert that I ever went to was The Rolling Stones.  The arena was huge and we basically watched it on a couple of screens scattered here and there and the sound quality was very weak.

I haven't had a chance to see many c/w concerts, but I would love to see Keith Urban. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2022, 10:32:55 pm »
I saw Neil Diamond as well and it was a really fun concert @berdie

The worst concert that I ever went to was The Rolling Stones.  The arena was huge and we basically watched it on a couple of screens scattered here and there and the sound quality was very weak.

I haven't had a chance to see many c/w concerts, but I would love to see Keith Urban.

The 1st concert for me was ELTON JOHN (Bi-Centennial "Philadelphia Freedom" Tour) in 1976 at the Capital Center in Maryland.

Then in quick succession... ROLLING STONES (Satisfaction), EARTH, WIND and FIRE and THE WHO.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2022, 11:13:12 pm »

@berdie

Van Morrison is a VERY gifted singer and songwriter,but he is also a raging alcholic that lives on anger.

Sometimes his performances are as good as they can get,and other times he sucks all the air out of the room. Depends on his anger and alcohol intake level.

I have been VERY lucky in that both times I saw him live,he was having good days.

And "Yes,I AM a huge fan of his music,but not so much of a fan when it comes to the man."

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2022, 10:20:51 am »

As an aside, a friend's daughter who had brittle bone disease was in hospital and they screwed up her electrolytes. She had what was described as a metabolic stroke, which left her pretty much blind, and on top of the bone disease, confined to a wheelchair. At one point, no one expected her to speak again, but on the way home, Garth was playing on the radio, and she piped up "Garth Brooks". While her recovery was far from complete, it began then and there.

As she got older, she was granted a wish by the Make-a-Wish folks, and her wish was to meet Garth. They flew the whole family down to meet backstage with Garth and the Mrs. (from roughly this era in the video), and they were kind, patient, and gracious hosts who spent over an hour with that disabled girl and her family. It, for her, was a wish come true, and I will ever think well of Garth and his wife for that. Now that she is no longer with us (she passed a few years back), I still think well of them for that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2022, 12:59:00 pm »
As an aside, a friend's daughter who had brittle bone disease was in hospital and they screwed up her electrolytes. She had what was described as a metabolic stroke, which left her pretty much blind, and on top of the bone disease, confined to a wheelchair. At one point, no one expected her to speak again, but on the way home, Garth was playing on the radio, and she piped up "Garth Brooks". While her recovery was far from complete, it began then and there.

As she got older, she was granted a wish by the Make-a-Wish folks, and her wish was to meet Garth. They flew the whole family down to meet backstage with Garth and the Mrs. (from roughly this era in the video), and they were kind, patient, and gracious hosts who spent over an hour with that disabled girl and her family. It, for her, was a wish come true, and I will ever think well of Garth and his wife for that. Now that she is no longer with us (she passed a few years back), I still think well of them for that.

By the time he did it, I reckon he already had more money than he would ever need - But walking off the stage never to return for decades - Because it wasn't good for his  children for him to carry on like that - When he was at the very TOP of his game, and his game was at the very TOP of the Country music game... Even still, to walk away from it like that shows a character that is both deep and wide.

So I can easily believe every bit of the story you told us.  :beer:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2023, 03:21:05 am »
Guess I missed this thread, but I'll add the Talking Heads concert memorialized in the movie Stop Making Sense.  Not my favorite band, and I think David Byrne is a dweeb...but that show was something else.

Starts off with Byrne coming on the stage by himself to perform Psycho Killer.  Then each song adds a band member until "Burning Down the House", where the whole band finally plays.  "Life During Wartime" gives a great sense of the energy of the show.  The whole thing was just kind of nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jShMQw2H2cM
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 03:31:17 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2023, 05:58:08 am »
Back at ya, @Maj. Bill Martin

Psycho Killer

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2023, 06:37:51 am »
Pink Floyd,pretty much anything they ever did. Blues from the 25th Century.

Dire Straits,Brothers in Arms.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2023, 08:44:03 am »
Alice Cooper's Madhouse Rock Tour
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2023, 06:54:10 pm »
Here is my nominee as the greatest live performance in history.  And often an example I give of the proof of the existence of "God"

Here in this 1966 performance is

(1) Greatest Composer who ever lived..  Beethoven
(2) His best symphony- 5th
(3) Best movements (though not most well known) 3rd and 4th Movements of said symphony
(4) Oft cited as one of the greatest conductors of the past 100 years - Karajan
(5) Conducting as if channeling the maestro with homage to his own country via the Berlin Philharmonic, also among the most renowned.

This musical piece is so intrinsicly interwoven, and melodic and piecing together as a tapestry, with Majestic drive.  There is no way on earth that in the realm of the soup of randomness that something this mind boggling beautiful and moving could exist without divine intervention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5LINDpY8Qk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmQ-IXVsG8E
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2023, 06:57:30 pm »
And from my "rocking" side.....

It doesn't get much more historic than this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVN8_7wVSG0
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2023, 10:46:41 pm »
Okay, here we go....

This is the Dutch band Focus doing their song Hocus Pocus on the Midnight Special back in 1973.  The song is bizarre enough as it is, but the show only gave them a little over 4 minutes to do a song that took more than six and a half. Rather than cut part of it out, the band decided to just speed it up.  Song stars the wacky but very talented Thijs van Leer on vocals, keys, etc., and the incredible Jan Akkerman on guitar.

Great video to watch if you're in a bad mood and need something to lighten your day.

https://youtu.be/g4ouPGGLI6Q
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 10:47:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2023, 12:17:40 am »
The best live performance in history was any live performance by Pink Floyd.

"Blues from the 25th Century."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 12:39:07 am by sneakypete »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34