Author Topic: Was this THE best live performance in history,or not?  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Was this THE best live performance in history,or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 05:27:26 pm »
Nope! Try this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANy4x3wgTSA&list=PL3C8JueuPAfPhlH1Q2v9DSuUzRPiVS2vJ

"Roy Orbison is the greatest singer who ever lived!"

Elvis Presley
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 05:42:44 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 05:43:19 pm »
The two shows above are indeed excellent and certainly deserving and  worthy of being pointed out.  I have been to many concerts over the years and have seen some really great performances.  It boils down I believe to personal preference.

Elton John, The Moody Blues, Yes, Willie Nelson, Gordon Lightfoot, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Pink Floyd,  REO Speedwagon, Styx, Foreigner, Journey, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, and many others were all great performances.

I however lean towards Elton John and The Moody Blues because of their use of full orchestras incorporated into their music and their pure unbelievable talents. I have seen both of them 3 times and all 3 times they were absolutely fantastic...

Music of yesteryears certainly outdo music of today; there are some talented musicians but none can hold a candle to some of the greats.  I'm sure those much younger than I would beg to disagree.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 05:58:25 pm »
@libertybele

Do you know who's in that video I posted?  I mean besides Roy.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 06:00:28 pm »

Totally agree...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 06:02:48 pm »

Totally agree...

888high58888  :beer: Elvis knew what he was talking about!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 06:05:36 pm »
Nope! Try this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANy4x3wgTSA&list=PL3C8JueuPAfPhlH1Q2v9DSuUzRPiVS2vJ

Elvis Presley

Well, by the looks of him,(and don't laugh) but I am guessing Bruce Springsteen???

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 06:11:32 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2022, 06:34:28 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0T4JDLN5mI

Allman Brothers anytime around 1971.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 06:36:49 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2022, 08:46:15 pm »
Nope! Try this one!

Elvis Presley

@Bigun

I freaking LOVE what Roy Orbison does with his voice,but his songs can't begin to compare with Pink Floyd songs for creativity,complexity,and just pure musical genius.

Not that there is anything wrong with simple conventional songs,because there isn't. In fact,they are the backbone of music and somebody,somewhere,will be playing them forever.

Marty Robbins is another  one that is hard to beat when it comes to that type of music.

BTW,I have no idea at all if Robbins or Orbinson wrote their own music,but the members of PF obviously wrote all theirs.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 09:00:17 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2022, 08:54:16 pm »
The two shows above are indeed excellent and certainly deserving and  worthy of being pointed out.  I have been to many concerts over the years and have seen some really great performances.  It boils down I believe to personal preference.

Elton John, The Moody Blues, Yes, Willie Nelson, Gordon Lightfoot, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Pink Floyd,  REO Speedwagon, Styx, Foreigner, Journey, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, and many others were all great performances.

I however lean towards Elton John and The Moody Blues because of their use of full orchestras incorporated into their music and their pure unbelievable talents. I have seen both of them 3 times and all 3 times they were absolutely fantastic...

Music of yesteryears certainly outdo music of today; there are some talented musicians but none can hold a candle to some of the greats.  I'm sure those much younger than I would beg to disagree.

@libertybele

If you like the Moody Blues,you pretty much have to like ELO. The last time I saw them,they opened with their version of "Roll over Beethoven". Let's just say the crowd was pretty fired up after that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJRZcbqcYkY

IMNSHO,this world could use a little more boogie-woogie.

BTW,this is NOT their best performance of this song,but  it is the first one I found.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 08:56:15 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2022, 09:46:41 pm »
@Bigun

I freaking LOVE what Roy Orbison does with his voice,but his songs can't begin to compare with Pink Floyd songs for creativity,complexity,and just pure musical genius.

Not that there is anything wrong with simple conventional songs,because there isn't. In fact,they are the backbone of music and somebody,somewhere,will be playing them forever.

Marty Robbins is another  one that is hard to beat when it comes to that type of music.

BTW,I have no idea at all if Robbins or Orbinson wrote their own music,but the members of PF obviously wrote all theirs.

Roy not only wrote his own but did so for others as well @sneakypete
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Orbison

ELO is just a tad to "hard" for my taste but there is something out there for everybody. Elvis is still right though!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2022, 10:04:00 pm »
@sneakypete ELO is ok, but I still prefer the talents of The Moody Blues and Elton John -- there are many others I feel are fantastic singers and musicians as well. Elton John's ability to play the piano is to me mesmerizing. (I play piano for my own enjoyment. happy77) Again, a matter of preference.

The Moody Blues I believe are in a class all of their own; musical variety extraordinaire. Again, musical preference.

There's a lot of talent out there but again I believe the talents of those who were popular in earlier times, far outweigh the talents of modern day musicians, with a few exceptions.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 10:04:58 pm by libertybele »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2022, 10:11:13 pm »
Roy not only wrote his own but did so for others as well @sneakypete
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Orbison

ELO is just a tad to "hard" for my taste but there is something out there for everybody. Elvis is still right though!

@Bigun

Jeff Lynn is a VERY talented guy,and really can't be pigeon-holed into one category.

You probably still wouldn't like MOST of his music,though.

Here is a little more upbeat guy you might like. This is a 15 year old Steve Winwood on the organ and singing lead. He also wrote the song. He was playing with the Spenser Davis Group at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfPJz1UG5gk

Here he is several years later when he was writing and playing for the group "Traffic"

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+low+spark+of+high+heeled+boys+songs&view=detail&mid=DB38EDA8EDE20AB16B87DB38EDA8EDE20AB16B87&FORM=VIRE

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2022, 10:20:54 pm »
THIS is much more to my liking @sneakypete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ58TVYNFro

I kinda like most of the folks who used to hang out at Hondo's (Hondo Crouch) before it got too famous.  Now known as Luckenbach, Texas

https://texashillcountry.com/thelegendofluckenbach/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 10:32:19 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2022, 10:37:36 pm »
My other favorite was Queensryche live in Tokyo '84. At that point no one could touch Geoff Tate's voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEhNojUcj-4&list=PLxDcWR6wjL0cRGbtVrpoF7aySY_T1oS4Q
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2022, 10:46:50 pm »
THIS is much more to my liking @sneakypete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ58TVYNFro

I kinda like most of the folks who used to hang out at Hondo's (Hondo Crouch) before it got too famous.  Now known as Luckenbach, Texas

https://texashillcountry.com/thelegendofluckenbach/

@Bigun

Oh,yeah! I am a big Bonnie Raitt fan.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2022, 10:56:23 pm »
Lot of classic groups... All good music that I appreciate. I just tend to float a different current (and that is ok)...

Recent group that has got me really excited (well 2010s) is Future Islands... But lets just say he puts on a good show (way he emotes during his songs)...

https://youtu.be/i-c1Rv5SSUg
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2022, 11:19:56 pm »
I'll bet you seen these guys around @Sighlass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jefNtEGqRo&list=RD4jefNtEGqRo&start_radio=1&rv=4jefNtEGqRo&t=45

@Bigun

Grandpa used to pick up the lead singer and take him to school when he missed the school bus. Grandpa was neighbors to Randy's folks. Mrs. Barkley was grandpa's neighbor and she made a little shine (she was widowed at a young age and had to raise a couple of kids). She was the hardest working old lady I knew, and sweetest Christian lady in her later age. Randy bought up all the land near him but didn't get grandpa's like he wanted. It had a natural spring I used to play in until grandpa would yell at me (he got his water out of the spring).

Randy and his wife knew dad real well, and always were friendly when I met them in town.

I am not the biggest country music fan, but the group used to do a big concert here (June Jam) and it was a huge thing for a small town. 80,000+/- fans in a town of 15K was enough to make a small town hop. It was one big party...

Anyhoo, dad worked for the electric company and he handed me some stickers (went on the cars and let you through the gate). People lined up a week in advance for this concert. I stuck the sticker on my car, drove in the night before and spent the night in my car and when they opened the gates I got front row seats.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 11:24:09 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2022, 11:24:44 pm »
@Bigun

Grandpa used to pick up the lead singer and take him to school when he missed the school bus. Grandpa was neighbors to Randy's folks. Mrs. Barkley was grandpa's neighbor and she made a little shine (she was widowed at a young age and had to raise a couple of kids). She was the hardest working old lady I knew, and sweetest Christian lady in her later age. Randy bought up all the land near him but didn't get grandpa's like he wanted. It had a natural spring I used to play in until grandpa would yell at me (he got his water out of the spring).

Randy and his wife knew dad real well, and always were friendly when I met them in town.

Don't know how, but somehow I knew you would have a connection. @Sighlass

- J. R. R. Tolkien