Author Topic: The Navy is hoping esports can help fix its recruiting troubles  (Read 235 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Navy is hoping esports can help fix its recruiting troubles
« on: September 04, 2022, 11:25:32 am »
The Navy is hoping esports can help fix its recruiting troubles

The three-year mission includes competing against high school students, streaming online and extolling the virtues of the service.

BY NICHOLAS SLAYTON | PUBLISHED SEP 3, 2022 6:18 PM

Gamers, the U.S. Navy wants you. Seriously. The Navy’s official esports team is looking to add new members. The service just opened applications to join Goats and Glory, the esports team that competes and streams on Twitch.

Little Debbie snacks are being retired from service at military commissaries
These gaming sailors will develop a “routine streaming cadence, encouraging followers and viewers to interact with the members and outreach content, and compete against high schools and colleges across the country,” according to a memo from the Navy.

Those deemed able — presumably the Navy really doesn’t want to get easily defeated in video games — “team fit” and ready for the work will get a three-year assignment at the Navy Recruiting Command in Millington, Tennessee.

Part of the job will involve competing in intense virtual combat with the esports teams from other branches of the military and rival gamer teams from other nations. The other main part of the job on Goats and Glory is to attract people to the Navy. The military sees video games as the best way to reach Gen Z, or as the memo calls them, “centennials.” The memo outlines that Gen Z consumes most media through digital content, so the goal is to meet them there.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/the-navy-is-hoping-esports-can-help-fix-its-recruiting-troubles/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Navy is hoping esports can help fix its recruiting troubles
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 11:26:19 am »
 :facepalm2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The Navy is hoping esports can help fix its recruiting troubles
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 01:00:37 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xSk5weCs_0

Wanted to post the original Fireside Theater version,but couldn't find it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 01:02:58 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!