Author Topic: The Army Wants Smarter Sensors To Ease Soldiers’ ‘Cognitive Burden’  (Read 132 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Army Wants Smarter Sensors To Ease Soldiers’ ‘Cognitive Burden’
New intelligence and electronic-warfare tools aim to help commanders get data faster.
LAUREN C. WILLIAMS | SEPTEMBER 1, 2022
ARMY TECHNOLOGY

AUGUSTA, Ga.—The Army wants to make sure commanders and soldiers get vital sensor data in near real-time. So the service’s shop for intelligence and electronic warfare is focusing on developing tools to do that without trawling through a morass of information.

In the past, Army senior leaders weren’t very concerned about electronic warfare, according to Mark Kitz, who leads the Army’s Program Executive Office Intelligence Electronic Warfare and Sensors. But that’s changing, in part due to world events such as the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

“So one of the things we've learned not just in this conflict, but over the last five years, is that electronic warfare is an enabler and our enemies, and our capabilities, are going to have to be able to function and work in a contested environment,” Kitz told Defense One at the AFCEA TechNet Augusta conference. “And so in order to understand that environment, we've got to have a collection and standoff capability to characterize that environment.”

The PEO covers “all things electronic warfare” including air, ground, and long-range sensing capabilities—all of which can support kinetic and non-kinetic effects.

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2022/09/army-wants-smarter-sensors-ease-soldiers-cognitive-burden/376632/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson