Author Topic: Navy Secretary’s One-Year Status Report Talks About Everything… Except Sea Power  (Read 154 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Navy Secretary’s One-Year Status Report Talks About Everything… Except Sea Power

SIGN IN | SUBSCRIBE AD-FREE
ArticlesVideoContactMore

UP NEXT:   PUTIN’S FAILURE TO LEARN LED TO QUAGMIRE IN UKRAINENOW READING:   NAVY SECRETARY’S ONE-YEAR STATUS REPORT TALKS ABOUT EVERYTHING… EXCEPT SEA POWER
Navy Secretary’s One-Year Status Report Talks About Everything… Except Sea Power
By Dakota L. Wood
September 01, 2022

Carlos del Toro marked his first anniversary at the helm of the Navy Department with a 1,141-word message to the Navy and Marine Corps extoling his accomplishments to date. But there was one glaring omission in his list of achievements: any indication that the Navy is better able to fight and win wars than it was one year ago.

The Navy Secretary cited progress made on many fronts: Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault, Mental Health, Education, Housing, Keeping [personal] Costs Down, Child Care, Spouse Employment, and the Exceptional Family Member Program.

These are important areas, to be sure. Basic things like potable drinking water, living quarters that aren’t moldy, and compensation that comes close to matching current economic realities are essential to recruiting and retaining the manpower the Navy needs.  Clearly del Toro’s mind was on personnel matters, but he missed an opportunity to reflect on why we have a Navy in the first place, and the purpose, importance, and value of serving as sailors and Marines.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2022/09/01/navy_secretarys_one-year_status_report_talks_about_everything_except_sea_power_851269.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson