Author Topic: 2022 has been the worst year for markets (so far) in at least 50 years  (Read 423 times)

Offline libertybele

2022 has been the worst year for markets (so far) in at least 50 years

A team of analysts at Bespoke Investment Group has crunched the numbers and determined that 2022 has so far been the worst year for markets in at least five decades based on an analysis of stock and bond-market returns heading into the final week of August.

One of the reasons why 2022 has been such a difficult year for retail investors is that both bonds and stocks sold off in unison........

After examining markets’ performance through the first three weeks of August, the Bespoke team found that there have only been three other years where both U.S. stocks and U.S. bonds (including government and corporate debt) were both in the red heading into the final week of August.

Those other years were 1973, 1974 and 1981. Additionally, an index of investment-grade corporate bonds was also in the red at this point in 2008 and 2015, as the Bespoke showed in its data. All the bond indexes cited by Bespoke have data dating back to 1973, while the high-yield bond index only goes back to 1987.

“No matter which way you cut it, 2022 has been the worst year of the past half century for stocks and bonds combined,” the Bespoke team wrote in a research note.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/2022-has-been-the-worst-year-for-markets-so-far-in-at-least-50-years-11661887865?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: 2022 has been the worst year for markets (so far) in at least 50 years
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 12:09:19 am »
A lot market stats depends on timing.  If this year's decline  is as bad as '08 by year end......  Market (DJIA) will have to drop another 12K to match that year's disaster.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: 2022 has been the worst year for markets (so far) in at least 50 years
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 03:22:25 pm »
2022 has been the worst year for markets (so far) in at least 50 years

On my monthly review, portfolio is up 1.4% for the year.  Of course, I have taken a lot of defensive, conservative positions too.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.