Author Topic: Behold Beowulf, The U.S. Army’s New Tracked Arctic Troop Carrier  (Read 96 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Behold Beowulf, The U.S. Army’s New Tracked Arctic Troop Carrier

The new Cold Weather All-Terrain Vehicle, or CATV, will be given to the 11th Airborne in Alaska first, replacing aging Cold War vehicles.
BY
DAN PARSONS
AUG 23, 2022 5:18 PM

The U.S. Army has chosen the BAE Systems BvS10 Beowulf tracked vehicle as its new Cold Weather All-Terrain Vehicle, or CATV. The CATVs will help transport troops and equipment across the harsh, but increasingly strategic Arctic where its current stable of wheeled combat vehicles have struggled to operate in the extreme cold.

Late on August 22, BAE was announced as the winner of a $278 million contract to build four CATVs, the first batch of what could ultimately be a 110-vehicle fleet spread across Army and National Guard units operating in the far north. Deliveries to the Northern Warfare Training Center at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, are scheduled to begin in mid-2023.

Beowulf can carry up to 14 soldiers. BAE Systems

The CATV contract is BAE’s first sale of Beowulf, built in Hägglunds, Sweden, and based on the BvS10 armored variant that is currently in service with several European nations. They will replace the Army’s aging Cold War-era Small Unit Support Vehicles, or SUSVs, also built by BAE Systems Hägglunds, and known internationally as the BV206. Beowulf’s engine, transmission, and hydraulic system are supplied by U.S.-based manufacturers.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/behold-beowulf-the-u-s-armys-new-tracked-arctic-troop-carrier
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson