Author Topic: BREAKING: California's grid operator says "excessive heat starting tomorrow will stress energy grid"  (Read 2156 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
This is why I prefer my household appliances to be as dumb as I am.

The electric company would have to send a person (or cyborg from the future) to my house to adjust the thermostat.

Meh, i love the convenience of Wifi. Worse comes to worse you could switch in a dumb thermostat later. My zones are pretty simple.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Meh, i love the convenience of Wifi. Worse comes to worse you could switch in a dumb thermostat later. My zones are pretty simple.

Each to their own.

It's been my near 50 year experience with devices....   The amount of bells, whistles, and complexity is directly correlatable to the frequency of malfunction and repair needs.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

The electric company would have to send a person (or cyborg from the future) to my house to adjust the thermostat.

I ain't even got a thermostat.
Well, I guess I do on the NatGas furnace...
But I mostly heat with wood.

Online mountaineer

Meanwhile, in Colorado:
Denver7 News
@DenverChannel
When thousands of Xcel customers in Colorado tried adjusting their thermostats Tuesday, they learned they had no control over the temperatures in their own homes.
12:09 AM · Sep 1, 2022
Story at The Denver Channel:
Thousands of Xcel customers locked out of thermostats during 'energy emergency'
22,000 people lost control of temperatures in their homes for hours Tuesday
By: Jaclyn Allen
Posted at 9:48 PM, Aug 31, 2022; last updated 12:27 AM, Sep 01, 2022

DENVER — During the dog days of summer, it's important to keep your home cool. But when thousands of Xcel customers in Colorado tried adjusting their thermostats Tuesday, they learned they had no control over the temperatures in their own homes.

Temperatures climbed into the 90s Tuesday, which is why Tony Talarico tried to crank up the air conditioning in his partner's Arvada home.

"I mean, it was 90 out, and it was right during the peak period," Talarico said. "It was hot."

That's when he saw a message on the thermostat stating the temperature was locked due to an "energy emergency."

"Normally, when we see a message like that, we're able to override it," Talarico said. "In this case, we weren't. So, our thermostat was locked in at 78 or 79." ...
You can bet California is working on doing the same.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Each to their own.

It's been my near 50 year experience with devices....   The amount of bells, whistles, and complexity is directly correlatable to the frequency of malfunction and repair needs.

I have electric baseboard heat here (house was built in the 70's). Also have heat pump and pellet stove. But the main area is controlled by a Mysa in line thermastat wifi cloud deal. Love it.

At the last house we had one of those learning thermostats i was never worried that they would stop people from turning down their own AC's or any of that nonsense... it would be a huge black eye for the company. This colorado was a special deal from the utility itself. What was neat was you could down up the heat before you headed home for the evening, come home to a warm house. Or you could monitor the temp of the home while on vacation (handy when the temperature was 10 degrees below 0 one time).

Our heat pump is a Mitsubishi split unit that is only a remote control, no wifi or anything and it's fine. Works great though.

Offline Kamaji

:thumbsup:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
wingnut:
"There is nothing wrong with your thermostat. Do not attempt to adjust the temperature. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it warmer, we will bring up the heat. If we wish to make it cooler, we will tune on the A/C."

That's why I still have one of these:

Just two wires attached that go directly to the gas furnace in the basement.

Air conditioners are window units, manually operated.
That's the way they're gonna stay.
(Actually, the house couldn't support anything else. Still has fuses and some knob-and-tube wiring...)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I ain't even got a thermostat.
Well, I guess I do on the NatGas furnace...
But I mostly heat with wood.
I save my wood for when the other stuff doesn't work.

Been thinking about scrounging up a half ton or so of coal...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis