Author Topic: Republicans scramble to tweak abortion messaging ahead of November  (Read 373 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Republicans scramble to tweak abortion messaging ahead of November
by Caroline Vakil - 08/30/22 6:00 AM ET

Republican candidates are shifting their message on abortion after several recent elections have shown the issue energizing Democrats.

Some candidates for House, Senate and governor have either reworked sections on their websites or released ads that have sought to downplay, reverse or clarify some of their anti-abortion stances.

The shift started over the summer following the Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade, but the change has become increasingly noticeable as more and more signs have emerged showing abortion can be a galvanizing issue for Democratic voters in key states.

“I think the concept that for decades, you know, a Supreme Court fight energized the conservative base because they wanted to overturn Roe, right?” Republican strategist Barrett Marson, who previously worked on Arizona Republican Senate nominee Blake Masters’s campaign, said.

“I think you’re gonna see a flip on that, that the liberal base will get more energized about this issue because they got it taken away from them,” he added.

Voters in the red state of Kansas earlier this month resoundingly rejected a ballot measure that would have given the legislature more authority to restrict the procedure. And last week, Democrat Pat Ryan won a New York special election seen as a bellwether after focusing his campaign on abortion rights.

In three other special elections since the Supreme Court struck down federal abortion protections, Democrats outpaced expectations even though they ultimately lost. And states such as Pennsylvania, Idaho and Wisconsin are seeing larger gaps open up between new female and male voter registrations since the Supreme Court decision, according to TargetSmart, the Democratic data services firm.

Taken together, the developments have seemingly pushed Republicans to reassess how they approach an issue that has already shown it can help swing elections and for some to step back from support for outright abortion bans.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3620234-republicans-scramble-to-tweak-abortion-messaging-ahead-of-november/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Republicans scramble to tweak abortion messaging ahead of November
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 03:01:01 pm »
 ////00000////

Ironically, religiously conservative Republicans are elevating Goverment to take the place of God to make the Final Judgement of man.

Were the people of Kansas mistaken to allow individuals, their conscience, and God to make family planning decisions instead of Government?

Were the people of Kansas wrong to believe that Government is not the ultimate authority in people's lives?

If I'm not mistaken, the GOP messaging on abortion is medieval.

- women who get abortions go to jail
- women who cross state lines to get abortions go to jail
- those who assist women obtaining an abortion go to jail
- doctors who provide abortions go to jail
- doctors helping women who are having miscarriages must consult the legal department prior to providing medical aid, and still possibly face imprisonment
- raped women are forced to carry their rapist's child against their will
- once the unwanted, unloved children are born, they will be abandoned by those who brought them into this world

... and the medieval Republicans want to take it further:

- want to eliminate same sex marriage
- want to criminalize artifical birth control

What am I missing?

Are the witch trials far behind?

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 03:04:04 pm »
I am pro-life, but sadly have to say that this is a wedge issue that is hurting us. 

Wish SCOTUS had postponed the decision till after the midterms.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 03:56:19 am »
We always stop short of helping women who may want or need it through the pregnancies they now view as a government mandate.

Why aren't statehouses implementing the strictest abortion changes not also sponsoring some combination of pre-natal care, birth assistance, counselling;  education accommodations; unemployment benefit extentions and access to adoption agencies?

Not only is ignoring this side of the equation politically tone deaf, it's cruel.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 07:40:33 am »
The Congress will not reinstate Roe.
What the GOP needs to do is reiterate that the laws are up to the states,

And to propose laws that will make it easier to carry and/or raise that child or find it a home, in states where the elective abortion option is eliminated.

Thanks in  no small part to the propaganda, the concept that pregnancy is avoidable 99.9% of the time just isn't getting through.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 07:41:32 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis