Author Topic: Sen. Marco Rubio — who called student debt cancellation 'unfair' — said he had $100,000 in student l  (Read 1248 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
 :facepalm2:

Sen. Marco Rubio — who called student debt cancellation 'unfair' — said he had $100,000 in student loans but paid it off by writing a book

Republican Sen. Marco Rubio said Saturday he understands the issues with student loans in the US because he too had $100,000 in student debt before getting elected to Congress and writing a book that allowed him to pay it off.

The Florida senator appeared on Fox News' "One Nation with Brian Kilmeade" to discuss his concerns with President Joe Biden's plan to cancel up to $20,000 in student-loan debt for federal borrowers making under $125,000 a year.

Rubio said he agrees student loans need to be reformed and that he too was burdened for years with thousands of dollars of student debt.

"I owed over $100,000 in students loans," Rubio said. "The day I got elected to the Senate I had over $100,000 still in student loans that I was able to pay off because I wrote a book. And from that money I was able to pay it, if not I'd still be paying it."

Rubio graduated from the University of Florida in 1993 and got his law degree from the University of Miami Law School in 1996. He served in local and state offices, including as Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives, before getting elected to the Senate in 2010.

His book, "An American Son: A Memoir," was published in 2013. Financial disclosures showed Rubio received an $800,000 book advance from the publisher, Penguin Group, in 2012, the Tampa Bay Times reported. The disclosures also showed Rubio no longer reported having $100,000 in student debt..................

https://www.businessinsider.com/sen-marco-rubio-paid-off-100k-student-loans-writing-book-2022-8
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
What really needs to happen is stop giving out loans for academic, non-marketable majors like Vagina Studies and Critical Race Theory, so they go to people with the ability to get a real job and pay them off.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
What really needs to happen is stop giving out loans for academic, non-marketable majors like Vagina Studies and Critical Race Theory, so they go to people with the ability to get a real job and pay them off.

This is true. 

I couldn't help but notice how absurd his comment was; as a sitting Senator he had the time and resources to write a book.  That'll convince voter to pull the lever for him.

Little Marco I'm afraid is going to lose his seat and comments like this aren't helping him.  Oh well.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

It's unfair that everybody just can't write a book to pay off $100,000 in student loans.

That happens only AFTER you get elected to Congress, AFTER someone ghost writes it for you, and so Dark Political Money Contributions can be laundered to your personal bank accounts.

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online mountaineer

So what? He earned the money - however he did it - and paid off the loan. At least those who have paid off $100,000 loans aren't slackers.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
It's unfair that everybody just can't write a book to pay off $100,000 in student loans.

That happens only AFTER you get elected to Congress, AFTER someone ghost writes it for you, and so Dark Political Money Contributions can be laundered to your personal bank accounts.

888high58888

Offline Hoodat

What needs to happen is for the federal government to get the hell out of the student loan business.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
What needs to happen is for the federal government to get the hell out of the student loan business.

True, but the reality is it's near impossible to get rid of a govt program once you create it.

At least this would put the crimp on colleges enough to demonetize the social activist majors that fuel much of the leftist stupidity.
The Republic is lost.

Online Right_in_Virginia

I couldn't help but notice how absurd his comment was; as a sitting Senator he had the time and resources to write a book.  That'll convince voter to pull the lever for him.

Little Marco I'm afraid is going to lose his seat and comments like this aren't helping him.  Oh well.

I don't understand your logic @libertybele    Care to explain it?

Online Right_in_Virginia

So what? He earned the money - however he did it - and paid off the loan. At least those who have paid off $100,000 loans aren't slackers.

:thumbsup:

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Little Marco's in a barn burner in FL, and he is belching out an elitist bragging position  he paid his student loan by writing a book because he is such an an important guy.  Way to connect to your voters numb nuts.

This bugger is such a little weasel.  Too bad FL GOP didn't find a better replacement.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 04:29:26 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

And that requires that colleges have skin in the game. It needs to HURT THEM when students can't pay off their loans.

Online roamer_1

Imagine starting adult life with a quarter million dollars of debt in student loans (that survive even bankruptcy), and a half million or so tied up in housing... BEFORE you even have enough salt to enter any real ability to create income.

What an awful trap to fall into - And many, many do.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Make thee universities underwrite them, collect the payments, and absorb any defaults.

This will force the reduction in useless majors, unless people self fund them.

It will force the Universities to produce educational results that are more marketable.

It will cut down on admitting marginal students and increase scholarships and loans based on academic merits as the primary criteria.

It just might cut back on the inflation that has been going on in the cost of a higher education.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Right_in_Virginia

Little Marco's in a barn burner in FL, and he is belching out an elitist bragging position  he paid his student loan by writing a book because he is such an an important guy.  Way to connect to your voters numb nuts.

So now we demand not only a loan be repaid, but that the money to do so be earned by blood, sweat and dirty fingernails? 

Newsflash:  Bankers, attorneys, engineers, Big Tech employees aren't plowing fields to pay back their loans ... they're sitting in air conditioned offices, riding around in Uber sedans, sipping Starbucks, chatting on the newest IPhone while wearing designer clothes and waiting for you to bail them out.

So what the hell difference does it make how Rubio earned the money?  Did he or did he not take $100,000 he earned that he could have spent on himself and his family, or invested for profit ------ and pay off his obligation in full and leave YOU the hell out of it???

« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 07:52:52 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
So now we demand not only a loan be repaid, but that the money to do so be earned by blood, sweat and dirty fingernails? 

Newsflash:  Bankers, attorneys, engineers, Big Tech employees aren't plowing fields to pay back their loans ... they're sitting in air conditioned offices, riding around in Uber sedans, sipping Starbucks, chatting on the newest IPhone while wearing designer clothes and waiting for you to bail them out.

So what the hell difference does it make how Rubio earned the money?  Did he or did he not take $100,000 he earned that he could have spent on himself and his family, or invested for profit ------ and pay off his obligation in full and leave YOU the hell out of it???

You are really out of touch lately.  My post intent wasn't even around the topic of the loan, but ancillary to the point that Rubio is coming off as an elitist snob, while he is in a losable race to keep a GOP senate seat.

If you want to defend those kind of campaign tactics, that's on you.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

Make thee universities underwrite them, collect the payments, and absorb any defaults.

It will force the Universities to produce educational results that are more marketable.

It will cut down on admitting marginal students and increase scholarships and loans based on academic merits as the primary criteria.

It just might cut back on the inflation that has been going on in the cost of a higher education.

Absolutely!

Offline LMAO

And that requires that colleges have skin in the game. It needs to HURT THEM when students can't pay off their loans.

This
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

@Smokin Joe  @roamer_1

I'm down with all that.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 02:12:45 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
You are really out of touch lately.  My post intent wasn't even around the topic of the loan, but ancillary to the point that Rubio is coming off as an elitist snob, while he is in a losable race to keep a GOP senate seat.

If you want to defend those kind of campaign tactics, that's on you.

:yowsa:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Smokin' Joe (regarding loans for university tuition):
"Make the universities underwrite them, collect the payments, and absorb any defaults."

I've got a better idea.
END STUDENT LOANS altogether.
Cash up front for tuition (that's how I paid, but it was only community college).
How's that ??

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
"Make the universities underwrite them, collect the payments, and absorb any defaults."

I've got a better idea.
Cash up front for tuition (that's how I paid, but it was only community college).
How's that ??

We didn't take out a loan for our kid's tuition either -- we set aside $$ when they were very young. 

It is absolutely wrong to forgive debt that student's have incurred.  How about everyone gets $$ back what they paid in tuition!

Online Smokin Joe

I've got a better idea.
How's that ??
Most kids I knew did one of two things. Went in the Military, did their hitch, got out and went on the GI Bill...or they worked their way through.

Some got academic scholarships or were fortunate enough to have folks who saved enough to put them through school (or put up part of it). I had a combination of underwriting from my folks and work (Farm labor, construction, structural steel fitter, pumped gas, worked as a lab tech and undergraduate teaching assistant during the school year) and scholarships.  I am also one of the few I knew who actually went to work in the discipline they chose (Geology).  While our grads had a pretty good rate at getting hired and/or moving on to grad school, people who had other (Non-STEM) majors rarely did what they had a degree for unless they'd gone into teaching.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

We didn't take out a loan for our kid's tuition either -- we set aside $$ when they were very young. 

It is absolutely wrong to forgive debt that student's have incurred.  How about everyone gets $$ back what they paid in tuition!
I agree. As a result of the hard work of us folks in the oil patch, North Dakota has this program: North Dakota State Grant and Scholarships

It is a tremendous opportunity for those here who want to pursue college.

C S Lewis