Author Topic: US consumers more confident in August as gas prices dip  (Read 522 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
US consumers more confident in August as gas prices dip
« on: August 30, 2022, 04:28:56 pm »
US consumers more confident in August as gas prices dip
By MATT OTT an hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Following three straight monthly declines, U.S. consumer confidence rebounded in August as inflation moderated and gas prices fell.

The Conference Board said Tuesday that its consumer confidence index rose in August to 103.2 from 95.3 in July.

The business research group’s present situation index — which measures consumers’ assessment of current business and labor market conditions — rose for the first time since March, to 145.4 from 139.7 in July.

The board’s expectations index — a measure of consumers’ six-month outlook for income, business and labor conditions — rose from 65.6 last month to 75.1 in August.

Analysts surveyed by data provider FactSet had expected consumer confidence to rise slightly as gas prices have fallen in recent weeks. AAA motor club says the average price for a gallon of gas in the U.S. dipped to $3.85 on Tuesday from more than $5 per gallon in mid-June.

Although inflation appears to have moderated recently, the cost for most things remain much higher than they were a year ago. The government reported earlier this month that consumer prices jumped 8.5% in July compared with a year earlier, down from a 9.1% year-over-year increase in June. Inflation was unchanged from June to July, the first time that has happened after 25 months of increases.

Since March, the Federal Reserve has implemented its fastest pace of rate increases in decades to try to curb four-decade high inflation, which has punished households with soaring costs for food, gas, rent and other necessities. The central bank has lifted its benchmark rate by 2 full percentage points in just four meetings, to a range of 2.25% to 2.5%.

more
https://apnews.com/article/inflation-prices-consumer-confidence-264633cb0405d785e47ad81d6daafe28

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: US consumers more confident in August as gas prices dip
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 04:32:05 pm »
We are one Cat 3-5 Gulf hurricane away from a return to $5-6/gallon gasoline.

AP has an attention span of 5 minutes.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 06:16:39 pm »
We are one Cat 3-5 Gulf hurricane away from a return to $5-6/gallon gasoline.

AP has an attention span of 5 minutes.
Gas went up .20 cents here at the local Arco overnight, a trend or maybe just Labor Day?

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 06:17:59 pm »
Gas went up .20 cents here at the local Arco overnight, a trend or maybe just Labor Day?

Maybe just the holidays.

However, we are getting closer to winter
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 06:20:53 pm »
All well and good but I read futures in Europe showed monthly gas/energy levels in Europe at some very scary levels. Personally we're just scraping by in NH.

Online rustynail

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 11:30:39 am »
FMCSA declares regional emergency after refinery fire

https://landline.media/fmcsa-declares-regional-emergency-after-refinery-fire/

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 12:44:51 pm »
FMCSA declares regional emergency after refinery fire

https://landline.media/fmcsa-declares-regional-emergency-after-refinery-fire/

Based on my experience working in chemical plants and refineries , when you see language that in press statements its sometimes infers a Force Majuere situation. Possibly meaning whatever damage happened at that refinery, will require a long period of downtown for repairs.

Let's hope that is not the case.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.