Author Topic: Two Different Corps  (Read 229 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Two Different Corps
« on: August 29, 2022, 11:24:00 am »

Two Different Corps
The growing divide.

Lance
Aug 19
Disclaimer right off the bat: this is not directed at any one person or group of people, but is rather an observation of a trend from my admittedly limited point of view. I follow dozens of solid, educational, proven leaders who regularly share incredibly beneficial information on Instagram, Facebook, etc., and I hope they continue to do so in coming years. In a world that requires one thousand qualifications for every argument, please believe me when I say: this piece is intended to be constructive, not destructive.

I’ll admit, I am worried that this will come across as bitter and angry. I don’t intend for it to be either of those things, but I would like to convey an urgent message, one that many of my active duty brethren have raised over the years in quiet conversations but have been largely unable to share for fear of reprisal and needless drama. If it sounds like I’m bashing a specific person or group of people you know, it’s probably pure coincidence. I ask that you don’t read your own grudges and/or preferences into this. 

The Great Divide

I’ve come to realize that there are two very different Marine Corps today. This is obvious to me as I scroll Instagram and LinkedIn, and see the many photos, reels, and diatribes of Officers and Enlisted alike.

First, let me clarify what I’m not talking about. I’m not talking about the age-old divide between Officers and Enlisted. I’m not referring to the perception that Officers treat Enlisted people like trash, or that Officers are oblivious to the trials of their subordinates, etc. That debate is nothing new, but it’s a discussion for another time. What I want to talk about is a relatively recent phenomenon.

https://lancecaptain.substack.com/p/two-different-corps?s=r
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline EdinVA

Re: Two Different Corps
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 12:38:13 pm »
Too much focus on ego fodder, artificial credentials and accidents of birth and not enough on real experience, knowledge and understanding.
This was true in the 70's when I was in but it has evidential gotten worse, just as the rest of society has.