Author Topic: China sprinting ahead as a space power while US lacks ‘urgency,’ new report frets  (Read 225 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
China sprinting ahead as a space power while US lacks ‘urgency,’ new report frets

The report, based on a workshop involving industry, experts and Pentagon officials, is in part designed to promote what participants consider to be a "North Star" vision for America as leading human expansion into space beyond Earth.
By   THERESA HITCHENS
on August 25, 2022 at 12:02 PM

WASHINGTON — China is now “on track” to outpace the United States as the leading space power by 2045, according to the latest version of the space industrial base workshop report spearheaded in part by the Pentagon’s Defense Innovation Unit.

A reason for this pessimistic viewpoint is a collective “a lack of urgency” across the US government and industry, as well as a bureaucratic environment “that is constructively delaying U.S. commercial progress through regulatory burden,” states the report, “State of the Space Industrial Base: Winning the New Space Race for Sustainability, Prosperity and the Planet.”

“China could surpass the US in space superiority if we don’t increase our investment,” DIU Director Michael Brown said on Wednesday at an event sponsored by the Atlantic Council to release the 2022 report.

https://breakingdefense.com/2022/08/china-sprinting-ahead-as-a-space-power-while-us-lacks-urgency-new-report-frets/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
As I remember it, a sense of urgency is what Trump found lacking in the government as a whole. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Really? Is it a lack of urgency at Nasa or simply a lack of confidence? If you consider Musk I'd say he has no lack of urgency, but yes the federal government seems to tying his hands and handing the advantage to China.  :pondering: Seems to be a recurring situation with Brandon and democrap leadership.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

All that "urgency" is being wasted by Congressional Republicans on the endless investigations to nowhere and nothing.

This is what Congressional Republican investigations sound like to people outside Washington, DC, ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzqtXi8T67w
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 02:44:59 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright