Author Topic: There's An Actual Reason Why Hot Dogs And Buns Don’t Come In Equal Count Packages  (Read 1731 times)

Offline libertybele

Perhaps I'm not buying the right kind of hot dogs, but Ball Park sells hot dogs in pkgs of 8 and so are the buns??? (I even went out and checked the pkgs in the freezer).  Anyways, for what it's worth ....

There's An Actual Reason Why Hot Dogs And Buns Don’t Come In Equal Count Packages

If you're one of the many people who loves to throw a good ol' fashion backyard barbecue, you've likely had your fair share of hot dogs. While most people may not be frank connoisseurs on your level, there is one thing we can all agree on: It's weird that there's an uneven hot dog-to-bun ratio in their respective packagings!

According to the National Hot Dog Sausage Council, the reason why isn't as strange as you may think. The NHDSC—which was founded in 1994—explained the mismatch packaging is simply because of the way these things were sold back in the day. In fact, it wasn't until 1940 that we actually began seeing hot dogs packaged in packs of 10 (which is why you typically see in stores now!). So why are buns not in 10-packs too? The NHDSC says it's because of the way they are baked.

"Sandwich rolls, or hot dog buns, most often come eight to the pack because the buns are baked in clusters of four in pans designed to hold eight rolls," said the council: "While baking pans now come in configurations that allow baking 10 and even 12 at a time, the eight-roll pan remains the most popular."

The increased talk around this particular issue comes on the heels of a recent petition by Heinz Ketchup Canada to end the hot dog packaging mismatch. At the time of publication, the Change.org petition—which is steadily climbing toward its goal of 7,500 signatures—had near 5,500.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/theres-actual-reason-why-hot-100000628.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Interesting.

I like a good 🌭
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

Interesting.

I like a good 🌭

yeah baby! Chicago style... Drag that puppy through the garden.  :beer:

Offline libertybele

I haven't had a hot dog since I had my heart attack in '14 --- but who doesn't love a good hot dog?  I like mine with just mayo and Heinz (has to be Heinz) Ketchup.  Maybe just maybe, I'll say the heck with it and have one.  They are best on the grill.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

I haven't had a hot dog since I had my heart attack in '14 --- but who doesn't love a good hot dog?  I like mine with just mayo and Heinz (has to be Heinz) Ketchup.  Maybe just maybe, I'll say the heck with it and have one.  They are best on the grill.

All beef, grilled... I don't know how that can be bad for you...

Add a pickle slice, diced cucumber, diced tomato (no damn ketchup), diced onion, a good, hot, stone ground mustard, and a dusting of celery salt... Now that can only be good for you.

:beer:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

I think if you have one hot dog a year it might be ok. Just don’t overdo it like Joey Chestnut

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Gulden's Mustard and chopped onion... :laugh:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
FYI...the absolute best hotdog for grilling...SAHLEN'S ORIGINAL SMOKEHOUSE HOTDOGS!

You will not be disappointed!   :beer:

https://sahlen.com/hot-dogs/
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

FYI...the absolute best hotdog for grilling...SAHLEN'S ORIGINAL SMOKEHOUSE HOTDOGS!

They don't have such a brand around here.  Heck, I'd be happy just chomping into a Ball Park beef hot dog.

Offline libertybele

All beef, grilled... I don't know how that can be bad for you...

Add a pickle slice, diced cucumber, diced tomato (no damn ketchup), diced onion, a good, hot, stone ground mustard, and a dusting of celery salt... Now that can only be good for you.

:beer:

I have to disagree with you on this one @roamer_1  Heinz ketchup was made for hot dogs!  :silly:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Publix had a bogo on them last week.  Sorry not impressed.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

Chicago - Vienna all beef wieners.

Offline roamer_1

I have to disagree with you on this one @roamer_1  Heinz ketchup was made for hot dogs!  :silly:

Sacrilege!  :tongue2:

Offline libertybele

Thanks, I shop Publix every now and then and didn't notice. 

Offline libertybele

Sacrilege!  :tongue2:

However, if it ain't Heinz it isn't ketchup. 

Offline libertybele

Chicago - Vienna all beef wieners.

Italian sausage on the grill is pretty darn good too.

Offline The_Reader_David

The claim made in the headline is not actually supported by the article.  It explains why buns come in packages of eight, but offers no explanation of why hotdogs come in packages of ten. 
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline libertybele

The claim made in the headline is not actually supported by the article.  It explains why buns come in packages of eight, but offers no explanation of why hotdogs come in packages of ten.

Granted the article is weak, but it did make for some different conversation other than political and the woes that trouble our country.

I buy hot dogs all the time for my hubby and they come in packs of 8 and the buns come in packs of 8.  My original point was the article states that hot dogs come in packages of 10.   Yes, it is a very weak article.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The only brand I know that still uses 10 hot dogs to a package is Oscar Meyer (and technically, it's two packs of five). The standard hot dog package, at least for most of the cheap wieners and national brands like Ballpark and Nathan's Famous, is 8, matching the buns. Sahlen's, a local brand here, for some odd reason only uses 7 hot dogs to a pack.

The better question should be why is Oscar Meyer still packaging two hot dogs too many?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Italian sausage on the grill is pretty darn good too.
Bratwurst is the popular favorite up this way.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

I never buy John's tomato goo. 

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

I never understood how ketchup became catsup.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

https://www.tedshotdogs.com/locations/az/

The Original Ted's Hot Dogs started in Buffalo, N.Y..  Once the old man retired to Tempe, Arizona, he couldn't stay "retired".

@Cyber Liberty   maybe you get down that way?

There are several 'varieties' of Sahlen's hotdogs.  The smokehouse hotdogs with casings are the best, don't be fooled by "Weiners" and "Skinless" which they also sell ...blah.

@Wingnut   maybe you didn't buy the right one?    :shrug: 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Wingnut

There are several 'varieties' of Sahlen's hotdogs.  The smokehouse hotdogs with casings are the best, don't be fooled by "Weiners" and "Skinless" which they also sell ...blah.

@DCPatriot

I can't remember which variety we bought.  They only had two flavors and I bought one of each.   I'll check it next shopping day.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

The Original Ted's Hot Dogs started in Buffalo, N.Y..  Once the old man retired to Tempe, Arizona, he couldn't stay "retired".

@Cyber Liberty   maybe you get down that way?

I used to go to Ted's once in a while.  Corner of McClintock and Apache in Tempe.  It's been there for as long as I lived down that way.  I haven't been to the East Valley since I left the last time in 2019.  I should sometime, I have a buddy in Chandler.  I might when I go to Phoenix in January for the annual State Committeemen Meeting.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: