Author Topic: Video: US Navy E-2 Hawkeye Attempts Aircraft Carrier Landing But Cable Snaps and Pilot Reacts  (Read 186 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Video: US Navy E-2 Hawkeye Attempts Aircraft Carrier Landing But Cable Snaps and Pilot Reacts
The tailhook is down but the arresting cable does not hold it.
JEFFREY QUIGGLE15 HOURS AGO

A U.S. Navy E-2 Hawkeye aircraft is seen attempting to touch down on a carrier at sea. The effort appears to be proceeding as expected as the tailhook is down and the landing looks good. As the arresting cable begins to slow the aircraft down, however, it suddenly snaps and a very scary emergency is thrust upon the pilot. See what happens in the video below.

"Bad line, good pilot," writes commenter @evrhett.

"If anyone is confused, when planes or jets land on carriers it's required for them to go full throttle when hooked just in case that happens," explains @ps_rippum. "So they can recover easier."

"He did that," replies @zaideykunquandeldingle. "The cable slowed him down too, and it was a lost stop, but it was loose, making him go over."

https://turbofuture.com/news/military-us-navy-e2-hawkeye-attempts-aircraft-carrier-landing-but-cable-snaps-and-pilot-reacts
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 03:45:34 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Wow.  I'll bet that got his heart rate up a little bit.