Author Topic: Millions in covid aid went to retrain veterans. Only 397 landed jobs.  (Read 143 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Millions in covid aid went to retrain veterans. Only 397 landed jobs.

Nearly $400 million went to a veteran retraining program as part of the American Rescue Plan
By Lisa Rein and Yeganeh Torbati
August 25, 2022 at 6:00 a.m. EDT

The offer to military veterans left unemployed by the coronavirus pandemic was tantalizing: A year of online courses courtesy of the federal government. Graduates would be set up for good jobs in high-demand fields from app development to graphic design.

“I jumped at it,” said Jacqueline Culbreth, 61, an Air Force veteran laid off in 2020 from her job as a construction estimator in Orlando. “I was looking forward basically to upping my earning power.”

But more than a year after enrolling at the Chicago-based Future Tech Career Institute, Culbreth is no closer to her goal of landing a job in cloud computing. Like many former service members enrolled at the for-profit trade school under a pandemic relief program run by the Department of Veterans Affairs, she soon found herself immersed in discouraging chaos.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/08/25/covid-veterans-retraining-program-school/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson