Author Topic: THE STATE OF THE WARFIGHTER MENTALITY IN THE SWO COMMUNITY  (Read 145 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
THE STATE OF THE WARFIGHTER MENTALITY IN THE SWO COMMUNITY
« on: August 27, 2022, 10:47:58 am »
THE STATE OF THE WARFIGHTER MENTALITY IN THE SWO COMMUNITY
AUGUST 25, 2022 GUEST AUTHOR 8 COMMENTS
By Lieutenant Judith Hee Rooney, USN

Introduction

As the United States shifts focus from the Global War on Terror to peer competitors, senior naval leaders have increased messaging to the fleet that focuses on preparing for war at sea. Considering this shift, I investigated the state of the warfighter mentality in the Surface Warfare Officer (SWO) community to gauge how the community felt about its own readiness as part of my program at the Naval Postgraduate School. Although the Navy gauges readiness in many ways, my goal was to go directly to the source by interviewing members of the SWO community – while avoiding the constraints and endemic fatigue so common in survey methodology. I used semi-structured interviews to identify attitudes, opinions, and trends related to the warfighter mentality across the ranks of O-2 to O-6. I conducted 23 interviews with volunteer subjects, each lasting one to three hours. Participants in this research study came from different commands and their tactical and operational experiences varied widely.

Given the current maritime stakes, understanding the fleet’s mental, tactical, and realistic state of readiness, and identifying the strengths and weaknesses in how we are preparing our warfighters is of utmost importance and was expressed passionately in every single interview conducted. Seven common themes about the warfighter mentality emerged from these interviews.

What Does the Term “Warfighter” Mean?

https://cimsec.org/the-state-of-the-warfighter-mentality-in-the-swo-community/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson