Author Topic: Offshore Wind: Much More Expensive Than Previously Thought  (Read 305 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Offshore Wind: Much More Expensive Than Previously Thought
« on: August 26, 2022, 06:04:41 pm »
WRITTEN BY ANDREW MONTFORD ON AUG 26, 2022. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

Offshore Wind: Much More Expensive Than Previously Thought

offshore wind wake effectTrying to work out how close together you can pack turbines in an offshore wind farm is a vital engineering decision for the developers of offshore wind farms.

That’s because the turbine wake — the slower and turbulent air that has just passed through the turbine — can reduce the output of any downwind turbines. [bold, links added]

As turbines become bigger, their wakes become much larger, and so, over time, engineers have been advising larger and larger spacing (Figure 1).

https://climatechangedispatch.com/offshore-wind-much-more-expensive-than-previously-thought/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Offshore Wind: Much More Expensive Than Previously Thought
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 08:31:23 pm »
More than previously thought? Horsepucky! The numbers and examples were there for anyone to see in Germany.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 11:16:56 pm »
Anyone in the oil patch can tell you, If you are going to do something offshore, It's an order of magnitude more expensive than it is on shore.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 11:27:15 pm »
Much More Expensive Than Previously Thought advertised..
Fixed it