Author Topic: U.S.The Navy Is Going All In On Laser Weapons  (Read 287 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S.The Navy Is Going All In On Laser Weapons
« on: August 25, 2022, 11:01:09 am »
U.S.The  Navy Is Going All In On Laser Weapons

ByPeter Suciu Published3 mins ago

A staple of science-fiction is now very real, as Lockheed Martin announced that it has delivered to the U.S. Navy a 60+ kW-class high-energy laser with integrated optical dazzler and surveillance (HELIOS). It is the first tactical laser weapon system to be incorporated into existing ships and provides directed energy capability to the fleet. Integrated and scalable by design, the multi-mission HELIOS system will reportedly be able to provide tactically relevant laser weapon system warfighting capability as a key element of layered defense architecture.

“Lockheed Martin and the U.S. Navy share a common vision and enthusiasm for developing and providing disruptive laser weapon systems,” said Rick Cordaro, vice president, Lockheed Martin Advanced Product Solutions. “HELIOS enhances the overall combat system effectiveness of the ship to deter future threats and provide additional protection for Sailors, and we understand we must provide scalable solutions customized to the Navy’s priorities. HELIOS represents a solid foundation for incremental delivery of robust and powerful laser weapon system capabilities.”

The defense giant has also suggested the potentially “game-changing” HELIOS system could also support long-range intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) missions. Lockheed Martin was awarded the Surface Navy Laser Weapon System (SNLWS) Increment 1, known as HELIOS, contract in January 2018 and has made steady progress on this rapid Directed Energy prototype.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/08/the-u-s-navy-is-going-all-in-on-laser-weapons/
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 11:02:29 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: U.S.The Navy Is Going All In On Laser Weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 11:03:27 am »
How effective are lasers at destroying enemy submarines? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 11:38:35 am »

Simple, just burn a hole in the water...  :tongue2:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 11:42:41 am »

Submarines aren't the only threats.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 02:02:13 pm »
Lasers fire in a straight,flat,line.

SO......,if they want to maintain their "over the horizon" ability to target enemy targets beyond the horizon,they are going to have to launch a BUNCH of mirrors into "near space".

If they do that,can someone please explain to me HOW the Navy can keep foreign nations from destroying those mirrors with rockets,thus leaving the Navy blind as well as unable to "bounce" a laser across the horizon?

Keep in mind that I were a simpul rifle-toter in the army,n doan no nuttin bout this gee-whiz stuff.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 02:03:38 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!