Author Topic: Want to Solve America’s Recruiting Crisis? Recruit Foreigners  (Read 320 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
August 21, 2022 

Want to Solve America’s Recruiting Crisis? Recruit Foreigners

Given a chance to address a serious recruiting crisis while strengthening alliances, the Pentagon should take it.

by Arshan Barzani

The Pentagon’s rosters are tens of thousands of troops short, as the department battles the worst recruiting crisis since the draft ended in 1973. Criminal records, drug use, and poor health bar three out of four Americans from serving without a waiver, while a booming civilian jobs market entices many of the rest. In response, the Pentagon ought to tap the largest pool of available talent: foreigners.

No self-respecting country should rely entirely on foreign troops. But enlisting some quickly fills the ranks with quality personnel. The British Army has long turned to Gurkhas, Fijians, and others from the Commonwealth, in part to make up for recruiting shortfalls. The Spanish Legion recruits from Hispanic countries and the French Foreign Legion from the world over.

Washington once grasped the sense of recruiting abroad. The Navy enlisted tens of thousands of Filipinos from 1900 to 1992, well past Philippine independence. They viewed the service as a way out of poverty and competed fiercely to join it. In the program’s last decade, as many as 100,000 Filipinos applied yearly for the 400 slots available—an acceptance rate ten times lower than Harvard’s.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/want-solve-america%E2%80%99s-recruiting-crisis-recruit-foreigners-204260
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Want to Solve America’s Recruiting Crisis? Recruit Foreigners
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 10:28:03 am »
Other than borrowing from Russia's use of mercenaries in Ukraine, making the US military a mercenary military is sure to finally destroy what being woke can't. 9999hair out0000
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 10:37:33 am »
So we are expecting that someone from a country governed by a corrupt and abusive government that will not fight for their family will come to our country and fight for our corrupt and abusive government?
Right....

Online rustynail

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 10:40:17 am »
From Gaul?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 10:47:46 am »
How about the Muzzies, Isis or Taliban. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 02:06:30 pm »
Odd that someone with a name like "Arshan Barzani" would be promoting this,ain't it?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!