Author Topic: Beaten, malnourished NYC carriage horse retires to farm upstate after collapse  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Kamaji

Beaten, malnourished NYC carriage horse retires to farm upstate after collapse

By Tina Moore
August 23, 2022

The carriage horse that collapsed on a busy Manhattan street after being flogged by his driver earlier this month is enjoying retirement on an upstate farm, a former industry rep told The Post on Tuesday.

“I’ve been the staunchest defender of the carriage drivers — but the treatment of Ryder is inexcusable and indefensible,” ex-carriage industry advocate Ken Frydman said of the poor equine, which was found to be malnourished and suffering from a neurological disorder after the infamous incident.

Frydman told The Post that Ryder’s owner and driver that day, Ian McKeever, told him he knew the horse was too old for the carriage industry when he purchased the animal in May.

“He bought the horse on the cheap and figured he’d squeeze what he could out of it,” Frydman said McKeever told him.

McKeever is the former president of the Horse & Carriage Association of New York and Historic Horse Carriages of New York. He did not return a call seeking comment from The Post on Tuesday.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/23/beaten-malnourished-nyc-carriage-horse-retires-upstate/

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I hope the owner [McKeever]  of this horse is charged.....very disturbing .
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

I hope the owner [McKeever]  of this horse is charged.....very disturbing .

So do I.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

McKeever needs to be arrested and prosecuted.

Every horse needs to be inspected.  If there was 1, there are surely more.

I hope Ryder has been re-homed with a rescue organization for elderly horses.

Such abuse of one of God's creations is a sin.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

McKeever needs to be arrested and prosecuted.

Every horse needs to be inspected.  If there was 1, there are surely more.

I hope Ryder has been re-homed with a rescue organization for elderly horses.

Such abuse of one of God's creations is a sin.

@DefiantMassRINO

It is my understanding that the horse is now enjoying a very much well-earned retirement at an upstate horse farm.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

That's what we are being told.

Has Ryder been visited by the Animal Rescue League or American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty and Abuse?

They won't release the name, location, or owner of the alleged 'upstate farm.'

It was only when Ryder was evaluated by an NYPD Mounted Unit vet, that Ryder's true age and health was discovered.

Until Ryder is rehomed with an elderly horse rescue organization, his well-being is unknown, and possibly in jeopardy.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

That's what we are being told.

Has Ryder been visited by the Animal Rescue League or American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty and Abuse?

They won't release the name, location, or owner of the alleged 'upstate farm.'

It was only when Ryder was evaluated by an NYPD Mounted Unit vet, that Ryder's true age and health was discovered.

Until Ryder is rehomed with an elderly horse rescue organization, his well-being is unknown, and possibly in jeopardy.

I don't think so.  The horse is almost certainly being taken care of by someone who cares, and who doesn't want their name and location known by the public so they don't get swamped by gawkers and self-appointed good samaritans.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I'd feel more confortable if the ARL or ASPCA were able to confirm it and provide photographic evidence.

Why should I trust the public statements made by Ryder's abusers?

Offline Kamaji

I'd feel more confortable if the ARL or ASPCA were able to confirm it and provide photographic evidence.

Why should I trust the public statements made by Ryder's abusers?

To start with, the statement isn't coming from his abuser.  So there is that ...

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Who is the source for the statement?  And has it been verified by an indepenent thrid party?

Those pictures of Ryder in the stall were taken at the carriage company's stall in New York City, not upstate.

Just because it's reported in the media doesn't mean it's true.

Journalists are supposed to be able to corroborate facts and evidence among multiple sources.

Journalist are professionals.  Most reporters are overrated amateur gossip columnists.

Offline Kamaji

Who is the source for the statement?  And has it been verified by an indepenent thrid party?

Those pictures of Ryder in the stall were taken at the carriage company's stall in New York City, not upstate.

Just because it's reported in the media doesn't mean it's true.

Journalists are supposed to be able to corroborate facts and evidence among multiple sources.

Journalist are professionals.  Most reporters are overrated amateur gossip columnists.

:facepalm2:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I hope the owner [McKeever]  of this horse is charged FLOGGED.....very disturbing .
More better, at least I think so.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
@DefiantMassRINO

It is my understanding that the horse is now enjoying a very much well-earned retirement at an upstate horse farm.
Good because the POS that abused him would probably have killed it and sold it to a rendering plant.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
More here

Riding off into the sunset: NYC carriage horse that collapsed in Manhattan retires to upstate farm after it's revealed steed was beaten, malnourished and double its reported age

Ryder, the horse who fell in Manhattan on August 10, was relocated from his previous home at one-and-a-half star rated West Side Livery stables in Midtown
    His relocation comes two weeks after he collapsed at the intersection of Ninth Avenue and West 45th Street on August 10
    Videos online show the rider, Ian McKeever, yelling at the steed and trying to get it up before relaxing in the carriage while NYPD try to make Ryder stand up
    McKeever also lied about the horse's age, telling officials it was 13-years-old instead of 28-30-years-old
    Ryder also suffers from 'the equine neurological disorder' EPM, a disease which affects a horse's the central nervous system
    The steed had abrasions to his legs, a cut on his neck and bruises on his knees following his collapse

By Alastair Talbot For Dailymail.Com

Published: 11:19 EDT, 24 August 2022 | Updated: 11:38 EDT, 24 August 2022

The Central Park carriage horse that collapsed on a street in Manhattan has been relocated to a farm in upstate New York to retire, after it has been revealed that it was often flogged, malnourished and double its reported age.

Ryder appeared to have abrasions to his legs, a cut on his neck and bruises on his knees following his collapse at around 5pm on August 10 at the intersection of Ninth Avenue and West 45th Street in Hell's Kitchen.

He had tripped and stumbled on his way back to the 39 Street stables, and did not get back up. Videos posted online show the rider, Ian McKeever, yelling 'Get up! Get up! Get up! C'mon, get up' to the animal, whose knees were buckling.

more photos and videos
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11141625/Central-Park-carriage-horse-collapsed-flogged-retired-farm-upstate.html
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Why should I trust an unnamed source?

Why should I trust something that can't be verfied among multiple sources?

Am I supposed to take the public word of those in positions of authority, influence, and trust at face value without verification?

I can't find any recent verifiable, third-party updates prooving that Ryder is on an "upstate farm" receiving the care he deserves.

How many dead pets are supposedly living on an "upstate farm"?

Offline Kamaji

Why should I trust an unnamed source?

Why should I trust something that can't be verfied among multiple sources?

Am I supposed to take the public word of those in positions of authority, influence, and trust at face value without verification?

I can't find any recent verifiable, third-party updates prooving that Ryder is on an "upstate farm" receiving the care he deserves.

How many dead pets are supposedly living on an "upstate farm"?

You have the link to the article above.

The author's webpage at the NY Post is here:  https://nypost.com/author/tina-moore/

That page includes a link that will allow you to email the author of the article.

That should allow you to satisfy your curiousity.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I wish these articles did a follow-up that showed Ryder at the *retirement* stables in upstate NY...
Support the USO

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I used the link to E-mail the article's author, Tina Moore.  Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRP0MBNoieY

... top men.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 06:45:51 pm by DefiantMassRINO »

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@DefiantMassRINO

I’m so glad if this is true, but I hope he’s not at the glue factory. That would be so sad
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Kamaji

@DefiantMassRINO @Gefn

There is more information at this link here:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/24/bella-hadid-pleads-for-rescue-of-abused-nyc-carriage-horse/

which makes the original story a little less reliable.  If you are minded, you may want to reach out to Bella Hadid's organization to see if you can help with putting pressure on getting this horse to an acceptable retirement stable.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Send the horse to "Lucky Orphans", a horse-rescue place just south of Dover Plains on Rt. 22...

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Ryder, a distressed New York City carriage horse who collapsed on August 12, has been located on an "upstate farm", but the farm is not a retirement home or sanctuary for rescued and aged horses.

https://www.amny.com/news/animal-rights-group-locates-carriage-horse-ryder/

Home free? Animal rights group locates carriage horse Ryder, but says his farm isn’t a sanctuary

“It’s good news that we know where Ryder is. But it’s bad news that he’s landed at this operation. In short, we don’t believe he’s safe at Clover Hill Farm,” said Julie Marshall of the Center for a Humane Economy.

The organization believes that the farm does not have the necessary resources to properly care for Ryder due to his underlying health issues. Not only that, they say that the farm’s primary motive is to attract tourists while also criticizing the farm for selling meat from their animals.

“This farm is aligned and connected with the worst actors in the carriage-horse industry and it’s apparent that Ryder’s movement there has been designed to keep eyes off of this horse, while the industry provides false assurances that he’s recovering and at a place with excellent caretaking capacity,” Wayne Pacelle, President of the Center for a Humane Economy said.

The group is also criticizing the farm for having a primary focus on temporary lodgings rather than long-term care. It is with this in mind that many animal rights groups say they are concerned for Ryder’s future well-being.

https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/588502948/animal-group-uncovers-secret-location-of-stricken-nyc-carriage-horse-and-it-s-not-at-a-sanctuary

Animal Group Uncovers Secret Location of Stricken NYC Carriage Horse—and It’s NOT at a Sanctuary

Clover Hill Farm does not have the features or practices characteristic of a sanctuary. Its central mission appears to be commercial, not centered around the idea of expertly caring for sick, abandoned, or unwanted horses or providing lifetime care and security for them.

“This farm is aligned and connected with the worst actors in the carriage-horse industry and it’s apparent that Ryder’s movement there has been designed to keep eyes off of this horse, while the industry provides false assurances that he’s recovering and at a place with excellent caretaking capacity,” said Wayne Pacelle, president of the Center for a Humane Economy.

https://centerforahumaneeconomy.org/2022/08/28/ryder-found-at-clover-hill-farm-no-sanctuary/

Ryder: We Found Him at Clover Hill Farm, and It’s No Sanctuary

The city’s public health department is charged with oversight of the carriage horse industry, including veterinary care for horses at work pulling paying customers, and granting them relief and protection when they are ill. This office is supposed to make certain that health records, including age, are certified and licensed drivers follow the law.

What has not been reported is that the critical job of Equine Veterinarian under New York City’s Veterinary bureau has been unfilled for a long while. In fact, there was a call for applicants the day before Ryder collapsed, presaging perhaps why this position is so fundamental. Horses are at the center of the carriage-horse enterprise, yet care for horses has been so low a priority that the city did not even take the time to actively recruit for this position. This smacks of negligence and presents one more reason for the public to doubt that working horses are being protected by industry or government.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Oh gosh, I want this horse to live out the rest of his life happy.

He sounds like Boxer from animal farm. I’m truly worried
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️