Author Topic: American Farmers Are Killing Their Own Crops and Selling Cows - Here's Why  (Read 397 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
American Farmers Are Killing Their Own Crops and Selling Cows - Here's Why
Abby Liebing, The Western Journal By Abby Liebing, The Western Journal
Published August 20, 2022 at 12:15pm

Due to droughts, American farmers are having to thin out their crops and sell livestock, which in turn is driving up food prices and adding to the overall economic downturn that Americans have been struggling with for two years.

According to a survey from the American Farm Bureau Federation, drought conditions have put the production of beef, dairy, wheat, vegetable, fruits and nuts at serious risk.

Droughts have persisted in the states throughout the Central Plains up to North Dakota, all the way west to California and all the way south to Texas.

This is nearly the whole region that is key to U.S. agriculture and makes up about half of the nation’s $364 billion agricultural production value, according to the AFBF.

“This includes 74% of beef cattle, responsible (in total) for 18% of U.S. agricultural production by value; 50% of dairy production, responsible (in total) for 11% of U.S. agricultural production by value, over 80% of wheat production by value and over 70% of vegetable, fruit and tree nut production by value,” the AFBA outlined.

more
https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/american-farmers-killing-crops-selling-cows
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
We have had a very wet year in northwestern ND. Pastures are still green in late August.

I know things have been far more dry elsewhere, but not here.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

This is why we need less Global Climate Change nonsense, and more climate resilient infrastructure investments.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline EdinVA

I would suspect that the rules on crop insurance are in play.  The insurance pays off on "natural" events, if you let your cattle eat the dying crops then you likely lose the insurance coverage.

Online roamer_1

We have had a very wet year in northwestern ND. Pastures are still green in late August.

I know things have been far more dry elsewhere, but not here.

We ain't exactly green up in here... But it has been an awesome August. Nice rains, twice, and really no triple digits - though the last two weeks have been high 90s... Just about through the county fair week, and temps are predicted to stay in low 80s all the way into September.

Two great cuts of hay. A stellar garden harvest. Hardly no smoke. One effective forest fire (though that one was close by).

God is good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: American Farmers Are Killing Their Own Crops and Selling Cows - Here's Why
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 11:40:37 am »
We ain't exactly green up in here... But it has been an awesome August. Nice rains, twice, and really no triple digits - though the last two weeks have been high 90s... Just about through the county fair week, and temps are predicted to stay in low 80s all the way into September.

Two great cuts of hay. A stellar garden harvest. Hardly no smoke. One effective forest fire (though that one was close by).

God is good.
Yes, He is!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis