Author Topic: How far has the US Navy come since the McCain, Fitzgerald collisions?  (Read 157 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How far has the US Navy come since the McCain, Fitzgerald collisions?
Five questions with surface navy stakeholders
By Megan Eckstein
 Aug 22, 06:00 AM

WASHINGTON — The fatal collision of destroyer John S. McCain with the tanker Alnic MC on Aug. 21, 2017, stunned the U.S. Navy. It came just two months after another U.S. 7th Fleet destroyer, Fitzgerald, was involved in another deadly collision. With 17 sailors dead from two avoidable accidents, the Navy had much to study and to fix — and quickly.

[Get the brief version of this interview with all six officials]

Over the course of investigations by the Navy and the National Transportation Safety Board, two formal reviews, and a slew of inquiries related to legal proceedings against sailors and leadership, an enormous amount of information came to light. But did these steps actually bring about change?

Six officials with first-hand knowledge of the surface force then and now spoke to Defense News to discuss the implementation of safety measures over the last five years, and more that must be done to avoid another fatal mishap:

https://www.militarytimes.com/naval/2022/08/22/how-far-has-the-us-navy-come-since-the-mccain-fitzgerald-collisions/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 12:22:48 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson