Author Topic: Military families’ housing benefits lag as rents explode  (Read 155 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Military families’ housing benefits lag as rents explode
« on: August 22, 2022, 11:22:01 am »
Military families’ housing benefits lag as rents explode
By R.J. Rico, The Associated Press
 Aug 21, 10:46 AM

When Kristin Martin found out her husband was being transferred to Naval Base San Diego, securing housing for their family of five quickly took over her life.

On-base housing wasn’t an option — the waitlist for a four-bedroom home in the neighborhoods they qualified for was 14 to 16 months.

Bigger military housing stipends, lower commissary costs pushed to fight inflation
The moves are designed to help offset inflation costs hitting military families' finances.

By Leo Shane III

Neither were the military-only hotels near base where new arrivals can pay low rates as they get their bearings — those were full, too.

So Martin cast a wide net across San Diego and started applying for rental homes, all sight unseen.

https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-benefits/2022/08/21/military-families-housing-benefits-lag-as-rents-explode/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson