State Chapters > NY/NJ

Ex-principal gets $187K DOE gig despite ‘pattern of dishonesty’

(1/1)

Kamaji:
Ex-principal gets $187K DOE gig despite ‘pattern of dishonesty’

By Susan Edelman and Mary Kay Linge
August 20, 2022

A city principal convicted of car insurance fraud kept her employment with the Department of Education – and even got a fat raise – despite what school investigators called her “pattern of dishonesty.”

The DOE gave Oneatha Swinton, the former acting principal of Port Richmond High school in Staten Island, a sweetheart deal to stay on despite the criminal rap along with findings that she improperly funneled $100,000 in school funds to a vendor, and “failed to safeguard” 600 DOE computers, printers and laptops which vanished under her watch.

Instead of terminating Swinton, 43, as recommended by the Special Commissioner of Investigation for city schools, the DOE gave her an unspecified place in its Office of Safety and Youth Development with a $187,000 salary plus health and pension benefits — $25,000 more than she made when arrested in 2018 for insurance fraud. Officials refused to give a title or description of her new gig.

Swinton even found the time to launch her own splashy fashion brand, ObyDezign, but took down the website after being contacted by The Post.

Her good fortune comes as Chancellor David Banks has vowed to sweep away needless bureaucrats and plow more money into cash-starved schools.

Parent leaders are dumbfounded.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/20/ex-principal-gets-187k-doe-gig-despite-insurance-fraud-arrest/

Kamaji:
Black privilege is alive and well in NYC.

mountaineer:

--- Quote from: Kamaji on August 21, 2022, 12:32:04 pm ---Black privilege is alive and well in NYC.

--- End quote ---
As soon as I read the post, I assumed that was the type of privilege at play here.

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on August 21, 2022, 12:36:05 pm ---As soon as I read the post, I assumed that was the type of privilege at play here.

--- End quote ---

:thumbsup:

PeteS in CA:
They must've realized her ethics are ideally suited to jigger NYC school performance numbers, after a little training.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version