State Chapters > NY/NJ

NYC Convicted Sex Offender on Parole Released Without Bail After Vicious Sucker-Punch Attack

(1/1)

Elderberry:
Legal Insurrection by Mary Chastain Friday, August 19, 2022

Only charged with a misdemeanor and released under NY’s bail reform laws, which are turning the city into a violent nightmare.

New York bail reform laws strike again.

Convicted sex offender Bui Van Phu, 55, is accused of sucker punching Jesus Cortes, 52, outside of a restaurant in the Bronx.

Cortes went under brain surgery. Doctors put him in a medically induced coma. His brother Juan said he is “day to day.”

He told NBC New York: “My brother is in this condition because of these criminals walking the street. I don’t wish this upon anyone. The only thing I want justice is for my brother. Apparently, this person has a criminal record.”

Police arrested and charged Phu with attempted murder.

But the Bronx District Attorney’s office charged him with third-degree assault and second-degree harassment, which are misdemeanors. The District Attorney is Darcel Denise Clark.

The Bronx Criminal Court released him “on supervised release without bail” since the new charges are not eligible for bail.

More: https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/08/nyc-convicted-sex-offender-on-parole-released-without-bail-after-vicious-sucker-punch-attack/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version