Author Topic: Apple security flaw threatens 'everything we hold dear'  (Read 993 times)

Offline Kamaji

Apple security flaw threatens 'everything we hold dear'
« on: August 19, 2022, 01:01:59 pm »
Apple security flaw threatens 'everything we hold dear': BILLIONS across globe scramble to update iPhones and Macs as tech giant reveals cyber crooks can take control of devices and access bank accounts, photos and more

By MARK DUELL and SAM TONKIN FOR MAILONLINE
19 August 2022

Billions of Apple users were today urged to update their devices after the firm disclosed serious security vulnerabilities for iPhones, iPads and Macs that could potentially allow attackers to take complete control of them.

The US company said it is 'aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited' and released two security reports about the issue on Wednesday, but they have only now received more widespread attention.

Security experts told users to update affected devices – the iPhone 6S and later models; and several models of the iPad, including the 5th generation and later, all iPad Pros, the iPad Mini 4 and later and the iPad Air 2 and later.

The update, iOS 15.6.1, also applies to the iPod Touch 7th generation. In addition, Mac computers on MacOS Monterey are affected - with users urged to download '12.5.1'. The issues were found by an anonymous researcher in 'WebKit', the browser engine that powers Safari; and 'Kernel', which is the core of the operating system.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11126551/Apple-reveals-security-vulnerabilities-affecting-iPhones-iPads.html

Offline Kamaji

Re: Apple security flaw threatens 'everything we hold dear'
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 01:02:13 pm »
One should always keep one's devices updated.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 01:10:37 pm »
Turn off the wifi, bluetooth and gps when your not using it

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 01:21:01 pm »
One should always keep one's devices updated.

The problem is that, while some updates improve security, most of the "updates" rob us of more and more information so that they can deliver more and more advertising. Tech is getting very annoying.  I used to be able to avoid the intrusiveness of it, but no more.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 01:24:04 pm »
The problem is that, while some updates improve security, most of the "updates" rob us of more and more information so that they can deliver more and more advertising. Tech is getting very annoying.  I used to be able to avoid the intrusiveness of it, but no more.

:shrug:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 10:22:14 pm »
I'm a Mac user. For 35 years now.

This is another one of those "scares" that I ... well, that I don't worry about too much. As in, not at all.

As of right now, Apple has issued only "a fix" (via Software Update) for their latest version of the OS, "Monterey" (OS 12.x). If one is running any version of 12 up to 12.5, the security update gets you to 12.5.1.

But if you're using ANY earlier version of the OS... there's no security update. At least... not yet. I reckon that amounts to close to 50% (or more) of current users.

Then again, the "flaw" discovered may not impact versions of the OS earlier than 12. Can't say because I don't know.

The Mac Mini I'm typing this up on uses OS 10.14.6, so it's not "update-able". It will stay where it is.
My 2021 MacBook Pro does have Monterey, but I'm kinda hesitant to update it until I'm sure that update won't BREAK anything else I currently use (as often happens).

Again, this is one of those "if you don't do this, the world will fall apart" hysterias that in real life will affect next-to-nobody.

I don't even run any anti-virus utilities, because there has never been a single Mac "virus" discovered "in the wild" since OS X was first released back around 2002.

This are such things as malware, adware, etc. For this, I use the free version of MalwareBytes and run it now and then -- scans and is done in about 20 seconds.

There probably aren't too many Mac users here in the forum, anyway.
But if there are -- if you have a problem, I can fix it (or direct you to help)...