Author Topic: US, Taiwan move forward with trade negotiations as China tensions grow  (Read 505 times)

Offline Kamaji

US, Taiwan move forward with trade negotiations as China tensions grow

By Callie Patteson
August 18, 2022

The United States and Taiwan have agreed to move forward with trade negotiations under a new initiative to ensure “economically meaningful outcomes” for the two nations as both face increased pressure from China.

Deputy US Trade Representative Sarah Bianchi announced the negotiations on Wednesday, saying they will take place “under the auspices of [American Institute in Taiwan] and [the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States].”

They are seeking to “deepen” the trade and investment relationship between the US and Taiwan as well as “advance mutual trade priorities based on shared values, and promote innovation and inclusive economic growth for our workers and businesses,” Bianchi said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/18/us-taiwan-move-forward-with-trade-negotiations-as-china-tensions-grow/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: US, Taiwan move forward with trade negotiations as China tensions grow
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 04:16:02 pm »
 While I support Taiwan and their freedom, wouldn't it make much more sense(I know Bidet administration) for our government to promote trade with other nations not in jeopardy of being swallowed by our enemy and most importantly to work more with American companies promoting their bringing critical industries like chip manufacturing out of Taiwan and onto to American shores?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 04:20:09 pm »
While I support Taiwan and their freedom, wouldn't it make much more sense(I know Bidet administration) for our government to promote trade with other nations not in jeopardy of being swallowed by our enemy and most importantly to work more with American companies promoting their bringing critical industries like chip manufacturing out of Taiwan and onto to American shores?

How many trade negotiations though has Biden shut down??  Joe & Co. will get something out of Taiwan, if not creating a war with China which I believe they desperately want.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 04:23:37 pm »
We need to promote development of strategic industries in the United States.

Taiwan is too geo-politically vulnerable to be a secure trading partner.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline bilo

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 04:48:20 pm »

You're right on all counts.

Deglobalization is happening regardless of what elites and the media think. In the process companies are waking up to the reality that they better get their supply chains at dependable sites. China is falling apart. The biggest factors in China threatening Taiwan now are Brandon's weakness and the collapse of their economy. China's dictators need a nationalistic fever pointed somewhere other than them.

The days of the USA protecting the oceans for safe commerce are coming to an end. We won't completely pull back until all the key industries we depend on are in safe territory, but it will happen. Bush was the last of the world's policemen.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home