Author Topic: Potentially strong solar storm could disrupt GPS, radio communications: NOAA  (Read 191 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Potentially strong solar storm could disrupt GPS, radio communications: NOAA

Such storms happen periodically as the sun’s activity waxes and wanes, and this particular round is not expected to be catastrophic. That said, there could be “moderate” impacts on Earth.
By   THERESA HITCHENS
on August 17, 2022 at 4:23 PM

WASHINGTON — The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is warning that solar activity could cause geomagnetic storms through the end of the week strong enough to trigger disruptions to GPS, communications satellites, and some military radios.

“Geomagnetic storms can impact infrastructure in near-Earth orbit and on the surface, potentially disrupting communications, the electric power grid, navigation, radio, and satellite operations,” NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center explained in its warning issued on Tuesday.

Such storms happen periodically as the sun’s activity (the solar cycle) waxes and wanes, and this particular round is not expected to be catastrophic. That said, there could be “moderate” impacts on Earth, with the worst case a G3 magnitude storm hitting on Thursday, NOAA said. G1 is the weakest and G5 the strongest storm level on the commonly used space weather scale.

https://breakingdefense.com/2022/08/noaa-warns-strong-solar-storm-possible-could-disrupt-gps-radio-communications/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson