Author Topic: Texas school district pulls Anne Frank’s diary, Bible from shelves after complaints  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Kamaji

Texas school district pulls Anne Frank’s diary, Bible from shelves after complaints

By MaryAnn Martinez
August 17, 2022

A Texas school district has pulled the Bible, an illustrated version of Anne Frank’s diary and about 40 other books from its libraries after the tomes sparked complaints from parents and community members.

The Keller Independent School District emailed principals on Tuesday morning ordering the temporary removal of the books, according to the Dallas Morning News.

“By the end of today, I need all books pulled from the library and classrooms,” the email from district curriculum director Jennifer Price said. “More information will be sent regarding action for these books … Once this has been completed, please email me a confirmation. We need to ensure this action is taken by the end of today.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/17/bible-among-controversial-books-banned-by-dallas-area-school-district/

Offline berdie

Did they also pull the Koran?

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
How about remove the state from all education and make it a parent decision. Drop the taxes and let the parent send their kids to the private school (homeschool) of their choice. I imagine church sponsored schools would quadruple overnight.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 09:02:56 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Who's bringing the lighter fluid to the book burning?

... Why would someone feel the need to illustrate Anne Frank's Diary?  Did they also make a Diary of Anne Frank pop-up book?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline roamer_1

How about remove the state from all education and make it a parent decision. Drop the taxes and let the parent send their kids to the private school (homeschool) of their choice. I imagine church sponsored schools would quadruple overnight.

And so would grades and literacy.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Just a minute, folks.

I was reading about this earlier over at that [hated] other site.

It WAS NOT the actual, original "Diary of Anne Frank" that was removed.
Rather, it was some kind of comic book re-creation of the diary with some offensive images that weren't really pertinent to the original book.

I'm guessing the part about "The Bible" is similar -- not the actual "Bible" that was removed, but another book or item of an offensive nature (at least insofar as kids are concerned).

I could be wrong, but this is what I seem to recall reading.

Offline Kamaji

Just a minute, folks.

Rather, it was some kind of comic book re-creation of the diary with some offensive images that weren't really pertinent to the original book.

I'm guessing the part about "The Bible" is similar -- not the actual "Bible" that was removed, but another book or item of an offensive nature (at least insofar as kids are concerned).

Interesting if true.  Do you have a link?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
From the Jerusalem Post:
https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-714895
“Anne Frank’s Diary: The Graphic Adaptation,” by Israeli filmmaker Ari Folman and illustrator David Polonsky, is a 2019 illustrated adaptation of the bestselling diary by the teenage Holocaust victim. The New York Times called the book “so engaging and effective that it’s easy to imagine it replacing the [original] ‘Diary’ in classrooms and among younger readers.”

TOS threads:
https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/4086246/posts
and
https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/4086310/posts

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ok,right up front,you can log ME in as a VERY strong agnostic/borderline atheist. I say "borderline" because it is impossible for anyone to make a claim that "God",as defined by Christianity does NOT exist,but I do have some industrial-strength doubts.

Having said that,WTF thinks THEY have the legal and moral  authority to pull books from a library based on THEIR reaction to the possible book content?

Is/was anyone FORCING children to read any of these books against their will?

As for pulling the book about Ann Frank,you would pretty much HAVE to be a freaking Nazi to object to her book being in a public library,and PUBLIC SCHOOL LIBRARIES ARE PUBLIC LIBRARIES. The first word in their definition pretty much defines the public availability of these and any other books on their "list",and you can bet your mamas bippy that there ARE other books on the list,and that the list is a very long one.

It is probably a good thing for me that I don't live in Texas because I very seriously want to tune some SOB or SOB's up over this.

After all,you HAVE to be a Nazi or Communist sympathizer,if not an actual Nazi or Communist to want to ban books,and I have a more favorable opinion of most diseases than I do ANY Communist or Nazi.

Granted,there ARE books whose content belong in a restricted section of ALL PUBLIC libraries that is only available to adults who sign in to access them,but that is not what these freaking Nazi's want,is it?

And if we start doing this for these books,what books will be next? Only a fool would think it would stop with the list at that school. Once "We,the people" give our approval for the seizure and/or destruction  of THESE books,ALL books will be in danger of being listed to be seized and possibly burned,and "WE,THE PEOPLE" end up living back in "The Dark Ages",ruled by fear and spite.

In case you haven't guessed by now I consider  "Book Burners/Book Banners" to be several gazillion steps down the social ladder from syphilitic crack whores. The ONLY semi-human creatures in existence that MIGHT be lower than this scum are child molesters/rapists,and I am not entirely sure they ain't in a tie to see who gets nominated as the worse of all evil.

Yeah,this thread hit a nerve.

I think I had better end this post here before I write to suggest something that might cause this site to be closed down.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 05:03:27 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Did they also pull the Koran?

@berdie

Excellent question,and one I am embarrassed to admit my anger caused me to overlook it.

Thank you!

BTW,I don't want "The Koran" banned,either. In case you haven't guessed,I am NOT a fan of Islam and what  Islamic drones tend to do,but banning the Koran and NOT banning ALL the "Holy Books" would be "Un-American".

ANY government that has the legal authority to ban "The Koran" also has the authority to ban "The King James Bible",or the written AS WELL AS THE SPOKEN words of every religion on the planet.

People have a right to believe any damn-fool thing they want to believe as long as no one is harmed as a result.

Once again,the old axiom of  "You are either a free people or you are serfs." applies.

Please pardon anything you  see by me tonight that seems more confused than my typical rants. The pain pill I took a short time ago is kicking in.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 05:40:41 am by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"
@roamer_1

I strongly disagree on that. Public education IS one of the areas where we need political oversight. Yeah,some schools suck and some other schools are the best thing since sliced bread,but I strongly suspect we have more children getting adequate educations AT A MINIMUM than if the government wasn't around to still their heads in and demand that standards be established.

I agree with anyone who thinks states should have more say in this than "Big Daddy Gooberment ",but the states as well as the children need THAT "800 lb guerilla" hanging on a hood in "the closet" just in case he is needed. No other organization had the manpower,the money,and the will to dig in and say "This will NOT stand".

Offline roamer_1

"
@roamer_1

I strongly disagree on that. Public education IS one of the areas where we need political oversight. Yeah,some schools suck and some other schools are the best thing since sliced bread,but I strongly suspect we have more children getting adequate educations AT A MINIMUM than if the government wasn't around to still their heads in and demand that standards be established.

I agree with anyone who thinks states should have more say in this than "Big Daddy Gooberment ",but the states as well as the children need THAT "800 lb guerilla" hanging on a hood in "the closet" just in case he is needed. No other organization had the manpower,the money,and the will to dig in and say "This will NOT stand".

@sneakypete

I will agree that the state (not the fed) has some responsibility to educate, and to provide some sort of standard... But invariably, private schools cost less and perform better - and that is an understatement.

When my kids came out of Christian school (I couldn't afford it anymore due to illness), They idled for nearly two years in public school, the quality of education was that much lower. Two years. And that is no exceptional tale. That seems to be the case across the board.

And it has been a while since I looked, but I believe the cost figured into each child in the public school is roughly $10k per year. That's what the school district gets per child. That high end Christian education, at the time was costing me between $3500 and $4500 per child - Excellent care at less than HALF the cost.

And that remains the same in home school, though the schooling is way cheaper because the parents are doing it, so all you pay for is the curriculum. Children taught at home generally school for 3 to 4 hours a day, and invariably are in the top of ratings and grades. In many cases, parents join together to make classrooms where they will send their kids out for subjects the parents fair poorly at... And even paying for that, the cost is crazy cheap.

There really is no comparison. Public school is poor at teaching... Poor at discipline... Poor at everything.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

I will agree that the state (not the fed) has some responsibility to educate, and to provide some sort of standard... "But invariably, private schools cost less and perform better - and that is an understatement."

@roamer_1

I strongly disagree. I went to public schools. My curiosity about the world,how some people lived,written records of what some people did and why they did it,etc,etc,etc didn't end when the final school bell rang at the end of the day. I  had a library card by the time I was in the 3rd grade,and there were a lot of times I left school  at the end of the day and headed directly to  the nearest public library.

A sad truth that never seems to get mentioned is that most kids that fail fail because of their own lack of interest in learning anything they don't HAVE to learn.

The old saying "You can lead a horse to water,but you can't make him drink!" adage applies here.

By the time I was in the 5th or 6th grade my teachers were trying to get my parents to let them enroll me is special classes to prep me for college. Of course,my parents refused. They were so out of touch they claimed they were afraid of the high school boys picking on me.

I discovered years later the real reason is they were planning. Which resulted in me having to attend a school where every classroom had two grades of student in them and me not learning a single damn thing. Not only that,but the closest library was 26 miles away.

"When my kids came out of Christian school (I couldn't afford it anymore due to illness), They idled for nearly two years in public school, the quality of education was that much lower. Two years. And that is no exceptional tale. That seems to be the case across the board."

I am sure that is true,but the truth is that is not the case with every public school. Even in private schools the teachers have to teach at a level that their students can understand.

Also,I am not sure,but it SEEMS to me that I have heard or read that there was no such thing as classes for the "Gifted and talented" students.

"And it has been a while since I looked, but I believe the cost figured into each child in the public school is roughly $10k per year. That's what the school district gets per child. That high end Christian education, at the time was costing me between $3500 and $4500 per child - Excellent care at less than HALF the cost."

I have no idea,and my eyes start to cloud over when people start equating money with learning.

There is not one single child in any school system in this country,private or public,that doesn't have access to a public or school library.

You are letting your pro-religious emotional feelings interfere with your reasoning.

"And that remains the same in home school, though the schooling is way cheaper because the parents are doing it, so all you pay for is the curriculum."

I'm calling Bull Bush on that one for a variety of reasons,the BIG one being "Who says the parents are capable of training a parakeet,never mind giving a full quality education to a child?

Not to mention the loss of input that comes from meeting and talking with a different POV.

"Children taught at home generally school for 3 to 4 hours a day, and invariably are in the top of ratings and grades. In many cases, parents join together to make classrooms where they will send their kids out for subjects the parents fair poorly at... And even paying for that, the cost is crazy cheap.

There really is no comparison. Public school is poor at teaching... Poor at discipline... Poor at everything."

Yeah,causin de parents no eberry thang,huh? Pure,unadulterated Horse Hillary!

BTW,what the HELL happened to my ability to post in bold,add emoticons,etc,etc,etc? A few days ago I could do all that,but not now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 06:15:59 am by sneakypete »

Offline roamer_1

BTW,what the HELL happened to my ability to post in bold,add emoticons,etc,etc,etc? A few days ago I could do all that,but not now.

@sneakypete

It's working fine here. Try a different browser. Could be the one you are using has an after-market script blocker or overeager ad-blocker in it.

I strongly disagree. I went to public schools. My curiosity about the world,how some people lived,written records of what some people did and why they did it,etc,etc,etc didn't end when the final school bell rang at the end of the day. I  had a library card by the time I was in the 3rd grade,and there were a lot of times I left school  at the end of the day and headed directly to  the nearest public library.

A sad truth that never seems to get mentioned is that most kids that fail fail because of their own lack of interest in learning anything they don't HAVE to learn.

The old saying "You can lead a horse to water,but you can't make him drink!" adage applies here.

By the time I was in the 5th or 6th grade my teachers were trying to get my parents to let them enroll me is special classes to prep me for college. Of course,my parents refused. They were so out of touch they claimed they were afraid of the high school boys picking on me.

I discovered years later the real reason is they were planning. Which resulted in me having to attend a school where every classroom had two grades of student in them and me not learning a single damn thing. Not only that,but the closest library was 26 miles away.

Sorry for your personal experience, but research the issue. Private schools perform way, way better.  And if it were merely a matter of the kids not wanting to learn, that performance would reflect it. In fact, I had one of them kids. My younger son was recalcitrant. He bucked the system every day. And he performed poorer than my other kids, but when he went to public school, his high Bs became Cs and Ds. The difference is plain on it's face.

I am sure that is true,but the truth is that is not the case with every public school. Even in private schools the teachers have to teach at a level that their students can understand.

If they weren't learning the tests and grading would reflect that.

Also,I am not sure,but it SEEMS to me that I have heard or read that there was no such thing as classes for the "Gifted and talented" students.

Not true. At least in my case. My eldest daughter was in gifted programs and was capable of high school math before 7th grade. A prodigy, in everyone's opinion. They wanted to jump her two grades (even in the Christian school). I would not go along with it, because despite her obvious intelligence, I did not believe her to be emotionally ready to deal with hormone infested nearly high-school level children.

And she performed extremely well in her time. She was full-scholarship and wound up in England her final two years.

I have no idea,and my eyes start to cloud over when people start equating money with learning.

Why? What is enough? Would you be fine spending $500k a child? Learning need not cost anything, as Home-schoolers readily demonstrate. And a superior education for half the money in private schooling is nothing to sneeze at. 'What it costs should ALWAYS matter, especially in public programs supported by taxation.

There is not one single child in any school system in this country,private or public,that doesn't have access to a public or school library.

Oh gimme a break. There ain't a single kid out there that does not have access to internet, and thereby, access to way more than a library ever thought of.

You are letting your pro-religious emotional feelings interfere with your reasoning.

No, I am most certainly not. That is why I used the term 'private school' That the one I chose was Christian is because I am Christian, but the education was what it was about. And the education FAR excelled the local public system. That itt was Christian is more or less incidental except in that religious education was included with the rest of the terrific educational experience.

I'm calling Bull Bush on that one for a variety of reasons,the BIG one being "Who says the parents are capable of training a parakeet,never mind giving a full quality education to a child?

Not to mention the loss of input that comes from meeting and talking with a different POV.

The children are subjected to the very same, if not more rigorous testing the public system children get. They receive the very same state testing as everyone. If the parents are not capable, just like any school system, they will be forced to improve the situation... Even if that means public school. The parents must retain accreditation just like a school teacher, or even more so. If they don't perform, believe me, the school system wants all that money those kids represent. So there is often intentional bias against the parents.

So obviously, it is working - And for the most part Home schooled children excel.

And who says they are not exposed to different opinions?

Yeah,causin de parents no eberry thang,huh? Pure,unadulterated Horse Hillary!

That doesn't even deserve a reply.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 06:51:01 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Just a minute, folks.

I think this was the reason they pulled “Maus” a few years back,
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@berdie

Please pardon anything you  see by me tonight that seems more confused than my typical rants. The pain pill I took a short time ago is kicking in.

@sneakypete

I understood everything you wrote and agree with your reasoning.

The fact you were so eloquent after taking a pain pill is nothing short of amazing.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

"It's working fine here. Try a different browser. Could be the one you are using has an after-market script blocker or overeager ad-blocker in it."

I am using FireFox,the same browser I have always used. Now that you have mentioned this,I will be trying the  Windows browser to see if I have the same problems with that one.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@roamer_1

:yowsa: :yowsa:

Ok,switched to the windows browser,and suddenly I have auto-fill and all the other options again.

I guess I need to download Fire Fox again to see what happens.

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

:yowsa: :yowsa:

Ok,switched to the windows browser,and suddenly I have auto-fill and all the other options again.

I guess I need to download Fire Fox again to see what happens.

@sneakypete

In Firefox, find the 3 bars in the upper right (right under the [X]) and poke it.
In the resulting drop-down find 'Add-ons and Themes' and poke that.
In the resulting tab, you should be in the Add-on manager with the sidebar highlighting 'Extensions'

Let me know if anything is in the main dialog area.

I will bet you have a script blocker or ad-blocker in there that is messing with it. If so, just reloading Firefox will not help - It will pick up the extensions from the old install.

Alternatively, you could uninstall the current Firefox, restart, and reinstall - But without taking precautions you will lose settings and bookmarks. Easier to discover the offending add-on (if any)